Si Tech seals - can't remove from my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at DRIS tonight and succumbed to the siren song of the blue smurf dry gloves for my new USIA suit, which has the Si Tech wrist and neck seal system installed. I spent a more than 30 minutes trying to remove the seals from my suit to install the smurf gloves, and I wasn't able to get them to budge at all.

I watched multiple videos online and I'm just stumped. I successfully resisted the temptation to use something to help me pry the seal out of my suit as that would have been a Very Bad Thing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, other than the fact that my hand strength isn't the best (carpal tunnel) and I'm also trying to not break my (short) nails. I threw in the towel. I've packed up my suit and the smurf gloves and I'm hauling it all back to DRIS tomorrow so they can actually show me. The guy in the shop tonight said to do that if I needed help. Boy, do I need help! :wink:

Anyone else have a very difficult time with this?

You don't need to remove the seals, at least not with the old-school quick glove. You can, it's it apparently common among people who dive in really, really cold water as it is supposed to improves blood circulation, but you don't need to. Maybe you do with the other systems they make?

There are multiple different systems SI Tech makes, which one do you have?
Here's their current versions: Dry Glove Systems covering all needs - SI-TECH

I've used the quick cuff and that just pulls straight out, but it can be a bear to get the seals in and out. I have also pulled heavy duty latex seals off the suit when I wasn't paying attention when pulling on the suit.

Oh, and if you do have the quick cuff, you might get the same clever idea I had to use a rubber band to hold the seal in place when inserting it into the suit. Don't do that.

I want to keep the seal in place, but I need to change out the ring to the one that will allow the dry gloves to be put on.

I have the Glove Lock QCP version.

Bear to remove? I can't get the ring to budge at all. I really wanted to take a table butter knife or screwdriver to pry it out, but I didn't.

Change seals quickly? Hah! That's a joke. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I'll be danged if I can figure it out. The nice guy at the shop showed me what to do but it's quite different when you're trying to get the seals out.

Last edited:
IIIRC, it's just pulling out by reaching thought opening in the wrist seal and pulling on the ring with your fingers a little at a time until it pops out. It wasn't easy the first time or two. But if it's practical for you having someone show you how it works would be best.

What I have is the third option shown in this video.

I cannot get any grip on the ring holding the seal to pull it out.

The only reason I bought this was to have dry gloves I could get on and off myself (I had originally just bought a pair of pullover gloves but I soon realized that there's no way to easily get them on and off) and to be able to gear up without gloves on. Pricey, though.

Last edited:
The guys at DRIS today helped me out. Showed me a better way to get a good grip, but I still had a hard time with it. They said the spoon would be a good choice.

Love the new smurf gloves. I can get myself into my suit, zip it up, and then put gloves on. The gloves lock at the wrist pretty easy, too. Worth the $$$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom