Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...doesn't make any sense at all?
Why? I never denied I could do that in sidemount (surprised me at that time, though).
I am quite sure that carrying one and a half times my body weight backmounted on the other hand, I would resemble nothing but a distressed turtle.

Regarding backscatter I am very surprised at the difference between my previous lights compared to the current one.
Previously I optimized for a narrow beam and that worked quite well in bad vis.
The current is rather wide beam in comparison and I can see a lot more with it.
The backup actually becomes invisible in comparison, a Seac R1 I still think to be very good for deep penetration in low vis environments.
This is me behind a spitfin in shadows below a pontoon. Vis about 10cm without a light, with it a lot more than that.
12605293_1533740003585545_7244612048360462353_o.jpg

That's why I really would like to use the helmet on all dives now.
Looks like that it will not always be easy, but since others manage, I will too.

I use a helmet for wreck diving. I've had metal, large and small, fall on me - so a helmet is a very prudent safety measure. I also like putting backup and/or video lights on the helmet - and a GoPro for filming.

Putting lights on the helmet is okay if you get the focus/direction right - if they're too 'direct' they just cause backscatter in any turbidity. I'll suffer them for helmet filming, but otherwise, they're a contingency only - stowed on the helmet, but moved to the hand if/when replacing a failed primary.

I wouldn't choose to use a helmet in open water, other than for practice sessions. I believe that even a 'small thing' like a helmet needs to be practiced and become intuitive before entering with it into confined/overhead environments. In particular, drills like air-donation need to be practiced until reliable - and using a helmet effects that skill. Same for backup lights, if they are helmet mounted. And I'll practice with the GoPro also - as filming effectively from the head takes a little discipline.

Using equipment only for certain circumstances means that diver familiarity and intuition with the equipment is always sub-optimal. The same applies to chopping and changing equipment on a whim. It's okay for the dilettante diver, but it's a hazardous omission for those intending to use the equipment on arduous or unforgiving dives.

scubatechphilippines-sidemount-technical-wreck-08.jpg

Last edited:
Using equipment only for certain circumstances means that diver familiarity and intuition with the equipment is always sub-optimal.
That is also my point of view.
Proven actually, as I now have to relearn my OOA routine, again.
I was already using the helmet very often, but I rarely practiced removing the light in OOA drills.

An additional question:

How important is an exact fitting helmet to the helmet users?

Mine is a $10 bicycle helmet that only roughly matches my head with 7-15mm hood(s).
I removed the chin strap and replaced it with a bungee.

It is not a sumpdiving helmet, on land it will bounce around on my head and occasionally glide to one side with the weight of the lights.
Regarding protection it is only 3-4mm of molded plastic, it only protects a bit from really sharp objects and has enough holes already to not even do that well.

Why do you care what other people think about your gear? It's not like it's dangerous or has any negative affect on you or your buddies.

This reminds me of the old shoulder buckle debate. A former student who went all techy on me was critical because I have a buckle on my left shoulder. I guess it's supposed to be a potential failure point or something. (Could be, although it's probably got 3000 dives on it and is still rock-solid!) I use it because I dive from a RHIB 99% of the time. It helps me dump my tanks in the water so I can haul my butt over the tubes and into the boat.

My point is that at one point, he was diving from my RHIB on a day where was about 6-footers... As he was trying to dump his twin 130s, he lost his reg when the harness had kind of pinned his arms behind him. He was at risk of "actually" drowning, until I grabbed him and cut his shoulder strap.

Wear the gear that you want and that works for you. As long as it's safe, and safe for other members of your team, go for it.

There are no SCUBA Police. There are no points for "Style", although sometimes I wonder.

The Petzl I use adjusts easily, quickly and firmly to my head. No foam, just two wheels that adjust circumference and crown.

To me, the answer really depends on the environment and type of diving conducted. I can understand why cavers need a properly rated/specified impact-resistant helmet; especially if their activities include 'dry' passage, abseiling an climbing... and/or the risk of loose rocks falling on them before they're submerged.

For wreck diving, there are none of those 'dry' issues, and underwater the velocity of impacts is substantially reduced (even if momentum/inertia isn't). This doesn't necessitate such a sturdy helmet - so I find it acceptable to use a 'lesser' helmet and save money.

I made a bunch of helmets a few years ago; to equip myself and my wreck students. My own helmet was adjusted to fit and 'locked down' with an ample wrapping of duct tape around the inner liner. My student/loan helmets remain adjustable.

DIY Sidemount Wreck Helmet Project | Andy Davis Technical Diving

What was important was to remove the foam liner on the helmets as these caused excessive positive buoyancy. It was an easy job to replace those with plastic, adjustable liners. I had bungee on my helmet to replace the nylon/QR chin strap. I initially left the nylon/QR chin strap on the student's helmets, thinking it'd be easier for them to remove/replace, but I saw students have more difficulties with them, so after a while I changed them out to bungee chin straps also - they are far easier.

Using a bungee chin strap, all that's left is a quick adjustment of the inner band and the helmets fit snugly. I get feedback from students once they used the helmets; and in every instance they prove no distraction on the dive. A couple of dives and they're forgotten in the water.

The design of helmets I used seem to work very nicely for sidemount/wreck. Most of that initial batch of helmets are covered in scratches now - indicating successful protection of divers scalps from rusted metal. I've had rusty metal splinters embedded in my scalp before (when not using helmets) and it's not nice. The design offers good protection from scratches and collisions, but also does little to interfere with freedom of movement of the head (especially the ability to crane the neck upwards when operating in proper trim).

As I normally introduce students to helmets on wreck courses, we have ample chance to practice long-hose air-sharing in open water dive/s before penetrating the overhead. This includes black mask drills. After sufficient repetitions, the students adapt donation technique slightly so that helmets cease to potentially interfere with donations. Really, all it takes is a slightly exaggerated motion.

The only draw-back I've found with helmets is when undertaking very tight penetrations. This probably isn't an issue for most wreck divers - but I've found the helmets are sometimes the limiting factor in spaces I could otherwise crawl through. Especially when negotiating restrictions feet-first, where the sidemount tanks are partially-detached and pushed/pulled. Turning the head to the side lowers the profile somewhat - but there are times when I've removed the helmet to get through particularly tight sections... or removed the long-hose cylinder for a 'drag through' (hose still in place, cylinder lowered and clipped to an ankle bungee).

Advanced Sidemount Technical Wreck 1.JPG

aaa-Advanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9h.jpg

Advanced-Sidemount-Technical-Wreck-9zc.jpg

sidemount-in-action.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing. You have already done what I have just started experimenting with! THANK YOU for posting the blog link. I have been using my Petzl (climbing) helmet, because it is what I already had, it fits, and it is adjustable (for hood vs no hood). However, one drawback, at least for me, is that the bottom edge flares out just a bit. I like the idea of the skateboard helmet, because the lower edge does not flare. I will have to try one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom