Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the one I have as well.

What Petzl do you own? Mine, the Ecrin Roc has almost no flare.
Was there any other helmet for the serious climber? :) I still am surprised that Petzl discontinued it several years ago.

Anyway, there isn't a great deal of flare, but there is some, particularly at the front. Not a big deal, just thinking I might find a cheap skateboard helmet and try it out, for grins and giggles. After all, that's why God made sidemount - for gear-heads, tinkerers and DIY'ers - right?
decompression:
That's the one I have as well.
It is reassuring to see there are enough of us out there who (to paraphrase Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge) 'Adapt, improvise, overcome.' :)

Attachments

• Ecrin Roc.jpg
    Ecrin Roc.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 52
Mine does not even have a manufacturer name.
Together with the hood I will probably even use it for protection.
However, here in Germany it is next to impossible to get access to a dry cave without being a real explorer with a university degree and cavediving certs are frowned upon.
So it's main use will be this:
12615754_1637551533176197_625190614722159331_o.jpg

12657981_1637551669842850_3687366312628046314_o.jpg

12628381_1637552513176099_4849266367205286627_o.jpg

I have been using my Petzl (climbing) helmet, ..., is that the bottom edge flares out just a bit. I like the idea of the skateboard helmet, because the lower edge does not flare. I will have to try one of those.

Yes, that's one of the reasons why I went with that design of helmet. They're fairly ubiquitous and easy to source. I got mine off a local market here in the Philippines for $12.

I like the shape at the back, as the curvature doesn't impose on the neck when diving in proper trim. You can see that shape in the photo below... plenty of clearance at the back for neck mobility and it doesn't interfere with hose routing at all.

scubatechphilippines-sidemount-technical-wreck-11.jpg

That's not my helmet... This is my helmet:

helmetport-jpg.366717

helmetstarboard-jpg.366718

I use the heavy bungee as an anchoring point for the backup bungee on the lights.

Attachments

• helmetport.jpg
    helmetport.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 279
  • helmetstarboard.jpg
    helmetstarboard.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
That's not my helmet... This is my helmet:

helmetport-jpg.366717

helmetstarboard-jpg.366718

I use the heavy bungee as an anchoring point for the backup bungee on the lights.
OK, your Roc is a later model than mine (you can tell by the shape of the vent holes, and the CE mark). Petzl changed the Roc design / appearance very slightly somewhere around 2000. Mine is a circa 1991 version of the Roc. But, yours still have the slight flare at the edge, a little less pronounced than the earlier design. Nice pictures, though, and I really like the mounts. And, you answered a question I was going to ask - I have an inclination to drill some vent holes in the top of mine - it traps some exhaust gas bubbles at times, affecting buoyancy. But, I see you have not. Have you given any thought to that?

I have an inclination to drill some vent holes in the top of mine - it traps some exhaust gas bubbles at times, affecting buoyancy. But, I see you have not. Have you given any thought to that?
I am constantly looking down in the caves, or twisting my head one side or the other. I never noticed air collecting there, much less disturbing my buoyancy. There is a hole drilled in the very back to hang it up.

FWIW, I think I bought it around 1998 or so, now that I think of it. Not certain, it could be earlier or later. Pulled the right shoulder out of the socket and the doctor told me not to climb again.

I think vent holes important because it decreases the noise of the air in the helmet.
Sounds a bit like being in a cave the whole time and can easily be ignored in overhead environments.
In open water it can be distracting, however.

Sounds a bit like being in a cave the whole time
Since that's where %98 of my side mount and helmet diving is done, it's no wonder I don't notice. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom