Sidemount Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I purchased the PADI sidemount course book, asked a bunch of questions, watched some videos, surfed the net, bought some gear, went to the local pool and did a bunch of drills and then went diving. Seemed to work just fine.
Is it this book? https://www.amazon.com/PADI-Sidemount-Tec-Diver-Manual/dp/B0186787YE
Because if so, I'd say you could have skipped the part about the book and simply look a lot around on the interwebz... (and yes, I'm judging a book by its cover, it seems very appropriate here)

There are some great videos on the net that answered many questions.

One of the problems that I notice with 'self-education' is that there are so many variables and options.... and some of these are more/less optimal for different needs and equipment considerations. I see a lot of sidemount divers (and instructors!) getting things very wrong because they've identified inconsistent or incorrect approaches online... and applied them with flaws to their own diving.

This is especially true in regards to the fundamental differences in approach to diving steel versus aluminum cylinders.... and the varied rigs and configurations that best suit those two options.

One of the problems that I notice with 'self-education' is that there are so many variables and options.... and some of these are more/less optimal for different needs and equipment considerations. I see a lot of sidemount divers (and instructors!) getting things very wrong because they've identified inconsistent or incorrect approaches online... and applied them with flaws to their own diving.

This is especially true in regards to the fundamental differences in approach to diving steel versus aluminum cylinders.... and the varied rigs and configurations that best suit those two options.
Gotta say your probably right. Diving the SMS 75 with steels is a joy, with alu, not so much. I have come across many obstacles when self training sidemount, yet I doubt taking a sidemount course with my local shop would have helped. Maybe if I could have taken a course directly from Hollis it might have been different. It still doesn't address the problems of diving different rigs for different types of dives.

Right now the industry has many newly certified instructors with little SM experience and desire/ability to expand on their knowledge and skills. There are certainly a handful (Andy being one) that go the extra mile to have a wide breadth of knowledge and develop skills to pass those on to the clients (students). The instructor that owns/ is familiar with many different systems, uses them in many different types of dives and environments and is committed to expanding their personal knowledge through formal and informal training is the instructor you should seek out. Disappointment will follow the person that takes training on a whim from the one instructor at a resort who filled out the SM instructor application and uses the one and only SM rig in the shop.

Right now the industry has many newly certified instructors with little SM experience and desire/ability to expand on their knowledge and skills. There are certainly a handful (Andy being one) that go the extra mile to have a wide breadth of knowledge and develop skills to pass those on to the clients (students). The instructor that owns/ is familiar with many different systems, uses them in many different types of dives and environments and is committed to expanding their personal knowledge through formal and informal training is the instructor you should seek out. Disappointment will follow the person that takes training on a whim from the one instructor at a resort who filled out the SM instructor application and uses the one and only SM rig in the shop.

That would be me, learning "at a whim" (actually at an opportunity, having given serious thought to sidemount long before taking the course), from the one sidemount instructor in Pattaya, Thailand. And yet, I'm not disappointed ... I knew that my DiveRite TransPac, after "Nomadization," would be different from the Hollis SMS100 I learned with; and my instructor helped me understand how to work with and work around those differences. I've gotten competent enough to feel comfortable with it, and sensible enough to realize that I'd do better with a rig that really is meant for sidemount -- most importantly, for side-mounting aluminum tanks. And I'm looking forward to diving and "working-up" my new Hollis Katana ... I think a trip to Panama City, FL is indicated.

Ken, would you mind sharing the instructors name? Now that Aquasport has closed, I need to find a good tec instructor for drysuit and solo courses before I go to Komati for cave school.

Hi Derek,

Sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom