• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Signalling with Mirror

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by underwater daphne, Sep 23, 2004.

1. underwater daphne

underwater daphne Solo Diver

I've read that ppl use mirrors for signalling devices. I've never been taught to use this. How exactly do you do this and for whom to see and how? thanks for the info.

i know mirrors reflect light, but still can't imagine how that will help me lost at sea. do you use sun light or a torch light for the reflection? is it only for at night?

2. wxyz

wxyz Angel Fish

3. Marek K

Marek K Loggerhead Turtle

Yeah...

The idea with a plain mirror (and a sunny day) is that you've got to hold the fingers of your other hand in front of the mirror, with a gap between the fingers, so you can see the reflected beam of sunlight on your hand/finger gap and aim it toward your target (usually an aircraft).

The reflected flash of sunlight is strong enough to be noticed by the aircraft... may not be as noticeable from a boat on a glistening sea, that would have to be real close.

Obviously needs a) a sunny day; b) an aircraft that's paying attention, and c) previous practice on your part.

The gadget that wxyz is linking to promises to help with the aiming part. Don't see a price, though...

--Marek

4. ShakaZulu

ShakaZulu Great White

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    "When target image, mirror and sun are in proper alignment, red dot on target ensures mirror reflection is on target" yes, whatever..........you could still be pointing to a spot in space.

5. wxyz

wxyz Angel Fish

rutabaga.com $8.97 US
    rei.com $13 US

plus the usual $50.00 shipping and handling...... ;)

6. android

android Solo Diver

No, it really works. You can aim and hit a traffic sign at a mile or so and see it light up.

7. ShakaZulu

ShakaZulu Great White

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    How is different from taking a CD and looking through the hole at the object you want to target??? You would be able to see the target but the mirror ankle could deflect the sun in all different directions.

8. Ann Marie

Ann Marie be happy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Haven't you ever sat in a meeting near the window only to "accidently" have the sun bounce off the crystal face of your watch and shine in your friends eyes, while you casually act like your paying attention?

9. underwater daphne

underwater daphne Solo Diver

oh wow, so many answers. thank you all for the information.

and how effective is a cd compared to a special mirror like in the link?
    will practice this as soon as i get the chance, although i imagine it to be quite difficult depending on time of day, etc.

10. Deo

Deo Guest

From here