• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

silicone grease

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by tengsr, Apr 1, 2012.

1. tengsr

tengsr Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I was digging through my glove box today, and found a thing of silicone grease...wtf? It has a dive flag on the lid, so it must be mine!!! Maybe something the LDS threw in to a bag when I bought something. So what are its main uses?

2. Scuba_Noob

Scuba_Noob Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The only uses I know for silicone grease is lubing o-rings (e.g., in your regulator set, gauges, valves etc.) when you're taking stuff apart and/or when you're fixing a leak. Also, I use special types of silicone grease for my camera housing o-rings and my strobe o-rings.

Some people may use it to lube their facial hair so that water doesn't leak into the mask.

3. Bigd2722

Bigd2722 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You can use it for any oring not involved in Nitrox (cameras, etc). After you rinse your knife, coat it with a very light coat and it can help prevent rusting.

4. kombiguy

kombiguy Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You can even use it for nitrox, up to a point.

5. DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis DivemasterDennis ScubaBoard Supporter

We use silicon grease applied the mask skirt to prevent/remedy mask leaking. If you have facial hair, it is the best thing to use. Apply small amount to mask skirt, though, not the facial hair.
    DivemasterDennis

6. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

Brake calipers and head lamp bulb seals too!

7. j2s

j2s Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
    It has limited uses, zippers, knives etc. but I don't use it on any 1st or 2nd stage parts, or tank valves, nitrox or non-nitrox..... and maybe that's why your lds gave it away...

8. Scuba_Noob

Scuba_Noob Solo Diver

My camera and strobe guides recommend using the manufacturer's o-ring grease and not a generic silicone grease to maintain/extend the lifetime of these o-rings. Probably just a way to get more money out of me, but still, one can't be too careful with these expensive equipment, especially if the manufacturer explicitly suggests it. I'm sure your grease is still good for most purposes.

9. moparmandjh

moparmandjh Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Silicon grease has saved a couple dives on rented tanks, a little on a leaking o-ring has done wonders.

10. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

I rub some in the facial creases to either side of the nose (cheek borders, basically) to cut down on mask leakiness. Seems to help. I shave off the top of my mustache before diving.

Richard.