Silt out diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived the Cannon River a week or two ago and found the viz to be about 1-2' at best, dark at the bottom of the channel (10'), current strong, not much fun. There are some spots where it's a little more peaceful and interesting but it's never a great dive.

I dive in no/low vis quite regularly. It's peaceful. It also helps you prepare for when the unexpected no vis happens --- and it will happen. It's just another challenge -- I won't call a dive just because there is no vis. You don't need to see in order to have a good dive.

I totally agree. It's good to dive low viz for when you get silted out in a wreck. That way you don't freak out.

Many Many times. Most of my dives, I cant see my gauges at all when pressed against my mask.

With your location in Florida I have to ask why you keep finding dive sites like that.

I may enjoy no viz, but I'm heading into gin clear if the opportunity presents itself every time!

Edit: Visited your profile. Understood.

Last edited:
I'm heading into gin clear if the opportunity presents itself every time!

Isn't it boring to see everything at once? Where's the mystery?
(I'm not jealous) o_O

Black-out mask drills during a recent course were actually relaxing and fun. This was a TDI DP/adv wreck course, but I'm curious what other courses require black-out mask work? What's the "lowest" level course that requires students to confront zero-vis? (as required by the agency, not as an instructor's option.)

FWIW, watching my fellow student do the lost-diver drill in a blackout mask was probably scarier for me than for him because of the amount of silt stirred up. Shining a torch into that was like turning on your bright headlights in heavy fog. That by itself was a valuable lesson. Silt happens!

Off hand I suggest it may be padi cavern shortly after dive #9.

" Practice all cavern diving skills until their proper execution is
second nature.
• Place special emphasis on the practice of emergency
procedures, such as loss of visibility or interruption of air supply. "

18 years old and advanced certified being the prerequisites.

Anyone else?

I concur. You might find the second post, and a number that follow, useful on this thread:

Wreck Penetration

I'll return to my mud hole with added appreciation for my opportunity. Thank you for referencing the thread. Excellent learning material.

The Handicapped SCUBA Association International offers dive buddy and dive master/instructor training which includes diving as a blind diver in preparation for training blind or vision impaired divers. All that I know of who have taken the training have reported it being a very relaxing dive. We assemble our gear blind (trash bag in the mask) and then dive it in the pool and in the ocean. Great fun.

The Handicapped SCUBA Association International offers dive buddy and dive master/instructor training which includes diving as a blind diver in preparation for training blind or vision impaired divers. All that I know of who have taken the training have reported it being a very relaxing dive. We assemble our gear blind (trash bag in the mask) and then dive it in the pool and in the ocean. Great fun.

I imagine it is relaxing when you have a trusted buddy and you know you are diving in water clear enough for them to monitor you. Diving in truly black water is disconcerting for every sighted diver I have encountered until they get used to it. That is an interesting analogy that I never thought of before, thanks.

Question: Is training blind divers about the same for those born blind versus those who have lost their vision? How about divers who have some vision but are legally blind?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom