Simplified Console - To Depth Gauge or not to Depth Guage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Phillips

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New Diver here. I have roughly 10 dives from 20 years ago, and another 20 dives in the last few months since re-certification. I dive exclusively within recreational limits, single tank, and warm water (live in SE Florida.) I dive regularly, a minimum of 1-2 dives every week on weekends, and occasionally another few dives during the week when I get the chance.

Im trying to simplify my overall setup right now, and move from the secondhand gear I've been using since re-certification, to more permanent gear that fits me more personally - and to that end I'd very much like to reduce my console to just a single SPG, as opposed to the three module console Im using now.
I've looked at the Highland Thin Line SPG by XS Scuba for example.

I dive with 2 computers - a Suunto Zoop on my wrist, and an Oceanic BUD clipped to my BC as backup.

Currently I'm using a cheaply purchased second hand console with compass, SPG, and depth gauge. And I find it a little bulky, and the compass is overly sensitive with regard to tilt angle. I almost never check my depth via console gauge since it too is old and temperamental. I rely almost exclusively on my Zoop for checking depth.

I am in the process of swapping from an old jacket style BC I purchased second hand, to a BP/W - I will be test diving a Halcyon Eclipse on Sunday and if I like the fit and feel of it, I will be ordering one asap.

I also just ordered a wrist mounted compass. (Highland Bungee mount compass). So in all likelihood, within the next couple of weeks I will only be using this bulky 3 module console to check my air and that's it.

So, my question is this - In the context of safety and redundancy, is it unwise for me to ditch an analog depth gauge altogether from my loadout? Will I be OK relying on my 2 computers and is it fairly normal to have only a single SPG on the regulator? In my mind I feel I'd be much more comfortable and streamlined with navigation and depth info on my arms, and a single, easy to read SPG attached to the tank and snugly affixed to my BC. I'm not interested in integrated computers at this time.

Any advice is welcome, as I'm new to all of this gear procurement stuff. Thanks!

i have only the spg....the computers now a days replace the depth gauge and thermometer.....oh yea and tables...(lol)

Redundancy is a good concept, especially when doing technical dives where you don't have the option of just ascending, and you need to deal with problems underwater. Three is two, two is one, one is none.

However, when doing relatively shallow, recreational diving, you don't need redundant depth and pressure instruments. You should be situationally aware enough to know about when it's time to ascend, based on plan/gas/NDL, so I can't imagine you being VERY far off the mark as long as you realized fairly quickly when one of them stopped working. I'm not really sure you even need a second computer, unless you plan on continuing a dive after your primary computer quits (which is fine, as long as the second computer has been on all the same dives as the first one has).

If your SPG quits, you end the dive. Presumably you have been aware enough to have enough gas to make a safety stop, and if you weren't and actually went OOG at 15 feet, you should be able to ascend from that depth without too much problem.

If your computer quits (assuming no backup), you end the dive. Now you are going to have to guesstimate what 15 feet and 3 minutes are, but that's not too hard to do. Since the safety stop is optional, it's not a disaster if you miss part of it, as long as you make a safe, slow ascent.

Two computers? You don't need a 3rd depth instrument.

Just out of curiosity, do you set the BUD to match the Zoop's conservatism? Does it work? I've been thinking about a BUD also.

With 2 computers you're covered.

The Highland looks like a nice little gauge but I'd go the extra $10 for the boot - not only to protect the sides but the face if you accidentally drag it across something. Highland Thin Line Pressure Gauge Boot

Just out of curiosity, do you set the BUD to match the Zoop's conservatism? Does it work? I've been thinking about a BUD also.

With 2 computers you're covered.

The Highland looks like a nice little gauge but I'd go the extra $10 for the boot - not only to protect the sides but the face if you accidentally drag it across something. Highland Thin Line Pressure Gauge Boot

Agreed on the boot.
And no, the BUD is set to default. If I did more dives that could potentially go into deco I would maybe be more diligent about having their algorithms more closely aligned - but I don't - the BUD works great as a little backup, and the differences in aggression of NDL are not terribly noticeable within the margins of my typical profiles. I didn't think much about the differences in algorithm when I bought it, I just got it for it's size and simplicity and so I wouldn't have to sit out a second or third dive of the day if my zoop crapped out on dive #1.
The majority of my dives are shore dives to 30' or less, with the occasional weekly dive to 60-70' fsw on the wrecks close to shore, on a single tank.

If you're diving with 2 computers, the likelihood that both crap out on you either by flood, failure, etc., is going to be pretty slim so not having a depth gauge doesn't make me worry. If it DID happen and you don't have a depth gauge, you can then ask your buddy/buddies for depth.

I'm redundant with my depth gauge on my SPG because I only dive with one computer and have wireless air integration with it. I don't trust the one computer and/or the wireless air integration to not crap out on me so I have the depth gauge on my SPG.

Best fishes!

I'd probably drop the console also. I have a 2 gauge SPG/Depth on my rig but only because I only have one computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom