Size of the housing for Canon G11 and eventual G12.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChainDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am hoping to get the new Cannon G12 and was debating between the Cannon and Ikelite housing.

Costs aside the determining factors are the Ikelite's TTL option versus the Cannon's small form factor.

Is there a reason the Ikelite's housing is so large? Will the G12 version follow in the G11's footsteps?

Mike.

I have a G11 with the Ike housing. Although fairly large, it is very well built compared to the Canon housing, and you do have access to every function on the camera.

The G12 is not shipping yet, so I doubt any maker other than Canon can make a firm commitment to anything about the size of the housing. But...

They have used this same form factor housing for the G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10 and G11 products. It would be consistent with past behavior if Ikelite again used the same size housing, hopefully with just the minor addition of a knob for the new front dial. As you know, Canon is saying they will use the same DC-34 housing for both the G11 and G12, which means Ikelite could also do the same. I hope they don't; having the front dial is really useful for manual operation.

Honesly, when you add strobes, the size of the housing is not such a big deal. I like the robustness of the Ikelite housing, although I have not had a problem with the lighter weight/size Canon housings. The only way to have the small size and strength is to use a metal housing, at 2-3X the price.

I suspect Ikelite could shoehorn the G12 into their smaller "ultra-compact" housing, but where would the bulkhead for strobes mount? You can easily spend as much on a couple of strobes as on the entire rest of the system, and Ikelite is not going to preclude you from doing that. It seems a safe bet they will either use the G11 housing or slightly tweak it by adding the front dial control for a new model housing. Time will tell, but that's my bet.

Of course nothing is set in stone until we've had a chance to review the G12, but it does appear it will require the same size housing as the G11. Check back within a week or two after the camera is released.

We will of course get the new housing to market as soon as possible considering the expected high demand.

Regards,

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of ordering a Canon G12 for my diving school and would like the new Ikelite housing to teach our PADI digital photography courses in London. Could you please keep me posted on any updates?

Thanks,
Mark

Oyster Diving

I'd like a housing for the Nikon P7000 from Ikelite.

From the Ikelite site:
Coolpix P7000 Under consideration for a housing in the future. No information currently available.

Off topic of Canon, but....

Ikelite did the Nikon P5000 and P6000 housings, they will probably do the P7000. I don't know how successful the P7000 will be in the market, since Canon has such a loyal base on the G series, but on paper the P7000 looks like a better camera than the G12. So I really hope Ikelite will deliver a housing soon.

Hi,

I am hoping to get the new Cannon G12 and was debating between the Cannon and Ikelite housing.

Costs aside the determining factors are the Ikelite's TTL option versus the Cannon's small form factor.

Is there a reason the Ikelite's housing is so large? Will the G12 version follow in the G11's footsteps?

Mike.

Ikelite has released the housing for the G12, and it also supports the G11. See:
Ikelite Housing for Canon Digital Camera

The Ikelite housing allows the G12 front dial to be used; the Canon DC34 does not. That is a major functionality loss for Canon. Combined with the lack of TTL flash support, the Canon housing is far less capable of supporting this camera's full potential.

At any rate, the Ikelite housing for the G12 is here, and quickly at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom