Skull fracture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emily8964

New
Reaction score
I recently had a domestic accident and had bone fracture on the back of the skull which extends downwards to the skull base. No haemorrhage was found. I wonder how long it will take to heal (or will it heal at all) and if I am fit for 1. diving and 2. travelling by air. Can any neurosurgeons or medical practitioners give me peace of mind here? Thanks.
EmilyL

Only your own doctor can give you the details you need, because they depend on the nature of your fracture.

Fractures heal, but how fast (weeks, months) depends on the type, location and severity of the fracture, among other things.

Barring any complications, the skull fracture should easily heal in 6-8 weeks. My bigger concern would be what kind of trauma your brain encountered. You said no hemorrhaging so that's good. But I think you want to ask your physician about lingering effects of a concussion or other aspects of brain trauma. Definitely seek real medical advice and start with DAN.

Hi Emily,

Based on the thus far sketchy report of your injury and present medical status, it's hard to offer any definitive opinions. However, if it was an uncomplicated closed linear fracture there seems to be no reason to expect that it shouldn't be well healed in 4-6 weeks, 6-8 weeks max.

As for diving, one should be able to resume once the doctor releases the patient for full physical activity. As has been mentioned, it is quite important that there are no remaining neurological or neurocognitive sequelae of any significance. If your physician has any uncertainties about return to scuba, s/he can contact DAN.

As for both flying and scuba, there is no reason to expect that such a fracture will be responsive to changes in ambient pressure.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom