Skunked by Kona Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantwiscour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are headed to the BI in a couple weeks and plan on doing the manta dive. I've been watching the manta count on BI Divers page and saw today's post at 0. How often does this happen? Have you ever been skunked on this dive?

I see Jack's gives a guarantee and an extra tank/dive for @ $30. That seems to create some value. Any thoughts from the locals others is appreciated.

I've done the manta dive ~15 times and never been skunked. The winter does tend to be more hit or miss though. Was out Thursday night and we have 5 or 6 show up and be pretty frisky.

There was a lot of surf coming in yesterday afternoon when we pulled into the harbor - and was supposed to keep building.

If you end up down at Keauhou the first dive is not fantastic, but you do get to blow some bubbles. Garden Eel Cove up north near the airport is a better first dive, but the plankton just haven't been up there lately. And for $30 you get an extra dive, a sandwich, cookies, and generally a good mooring.

Either way, I would wear some gloves - with the swell things very surgy the other night. Hanging onto the rock at my knee to keep from getting bowled over rubbed my thumb so raw my iphone won't recognize my thumbprint. :)

The Pelagic Magic is also worth doing if you like little critters and the occasional big guys (saw a thresher shark at the beginning of the dive in late november on my last trip).

Reactions: Jax
I've done this dive 3x over the years. Smallest number was 6, most on a dive was 25. It is worth the small risk of a no show.

Having worked on the Kona Aggressor for a time and having a number of friends past and present do the same - I can say your chances of getting "skunked" are very small. That being said, it's the ocean and there just aren't many sure things. I agree on the preference of Garden Eel cove without question but have had many great experiences at both sites. I think it's a must do dive just to have the opportunity to see even one of the magical creatures. Chances are you'll see more though.

As a side note I'd strongly suggest (given time) checking out Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventures (WHOA) over there for a one of a kind experience on one of their day charters! While it's not a Scuba experience IT IS a great opportunity to adventure out and potentially see some of the most amazing marine life you can see in Hawaii. While one again, there aren't any sure things - the crew is great at finding incredible whales, dolphins, sharks and more. Look them up and see if you can get out with Deron Verbek. In addition to being once of the nicest people I've ever met, he has an amazing passion and knowledge of the ocean. I personally would never go to Kona without spending at least one day on the water with him.

Best of luck and I hope you have a great vacation loaded with amazing ocean experiences
A

While chances of getting skunked are small, sometimes it happens. Mantas show-up to eat. If the food isn't there, mantas dine some place else. Often big swell events are one of the reasons food isn't present at night manta dive sites. Swell events can also result in the dive being cancelled. The local dive ops don't like to cancel, but they have to be safe.

We got skunked at Garden Eel Cove last July. Our lead dive master was just sure the mantas would be out at Garden Eel Cove instead of the Keauhou site adjacent to the Sheraton. The next day, I checked with another operator who had divers at the Sheraton. I asked the shop gal if they had mantas. She grabbed a clipboard, looked at it, and said, "We had an off night; we only had twelve." As good as the folks are with the different dive ops, sometimes they zig when they should have zagged. Stuff happens.

I was glad that I booked the dive twice during our July trip. Despite getting skunked on the first booking, we had more mantas than I could count on our second booking. When we return to Kona this coming summer, we'll book night manta dives on both the front and tail end of our time on the island.

-AZTinman

We got skunked on the island of Yap a few years ago. The dive op said it never happens so they comped our dives. Got the T shirt and can't wear it.

I didn't see any mantas when I went, back in the 90's, and a lady on our boat was bit by an eel. I enjoyed a wonderful view of the milky way on the ride back, though. The dive op did not comp our dive, and asked us not to talk about the eel biting.

"Skunked" once (out of ten or so dives), but I had a great night reef dive instead.

We ended up seeing 14 Mantas last night. The surge was intense. We took some video but not sure how good it turned out.

Martina with Manta Ray Advocates was filming and her videos and stills turned out great.

When I get the final video footage edited and posted I'll share the link.

Thanks for all the great info y'all. We have had a great time on Kauai and BI. Our vacation is coming to a close on Friday. We will have managed about 15 dives this trip.

It's not a zoo... :)

Back
Top Bottom