Skunked by Kona Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got skunked at Kona 10 years ago, and haven't been back!

Just kidding!

After three days of diving with Jack's we did get skunked on the manta dive. It was our last day of diving, so no second chance. Then we inherited a timeshare on Kauai and have been diving there instead.

But that the Kona trip was my son's first dive trip, we snorkeled with a whale shark, his first night dive, and he saw his first sharks. It was a great family trip. If you have new divers, go for the manta dive, if they're comfortable diving dark.

Found out TODAY that we're going back to Kauai in July, will probably add in 2-3 days in Kona before moving on to Kauai.

Will DEFINITELY dive with Jack's, will DEFINITELY go for the Manta dive. In Kauai we've had good luck with Fathom Five, I even dove Tunnels in late November two years ago. That was a little silty and dark, kinda like most shore dives in San Diego :)

We ended up seeing 14 Mantas last night. The surge was intense. We took some video but not sure how good it turned out.

Martina with Manta Ray Advocates was filming and her videos and stills turned out great.

We had 23 mantas 2 weeks ago. It was awesome.

The video from Martina's group looked good in the parking lot. I anted up the $75 for the complete unedited package. When I received the Dropbox link and read the copyright policy, I realized it was all pretty much useless and requested a full refund before I downloaded anything.

You can't even crop one of their pictures and use it here as your avatar! I thought it was some serious bait-and-switch BS that they sold me the package and never mentioned any kind of restrictions on what I could do with the photos until they emailed the link to download them. I would have understood a simple prohibition against commercial use, but their actual policy is ridiculous AND they don't tell you about it when they're selling it to you. They sold me a bunch of unedited pictures and then say I can't even crop them?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom