Sleep or lack there of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks:
Once you get into an insomnia cycle, it can be difficult to break. It seems to me that the larger my sleep deficit, the harder it is to get to sleep at an appropriate moment (sleeping in my office during the day is easy, but nonproductive).

With regard to chores, can you skip 'em for one night? Order take out and relax. The laundry will still be there in the morning.

With regard to the kids, is there any way that the kids could spend one night somewhere else, i.e., a sleepover or a night with the grandparents?

The idea is to minimize stress and outside stimuli for one evening so that you can get your sleep habits back on track. Once you're there, it'll probably be easier to stay there.

It all sounds so easy. I am going to be totally honest here folks. My house is a mess. It drives me nuts and then some.

My family all live along way away and I don't really have anyone in the town that I live in that the kids can go to. Just the way it is. I chose it.

I am thinking a great big cartoon mallet to the head!!! LOL

cobaltbabe:
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.
Hmm, no milk, no drugs. Guess that leaves WHISKEY :D

alcohol is excellent, but if it works, try not to make it a habit. good to get some sleep now, but do look for alternatives or you might have a different problem soon.
:)

(I raised a few kids myself, Marie, so take it for what its worth...) No idea how old yours are, and I think NEW is on to something, but you might try something other than wine while the kids are still up! There are some excellent books you might try reading aloud to the kids before their bedtime, like the Redwall series (Brian Jacques?), etc. About an hour each night and I was certainly falling asleep, didn't always have the same effect on the kids (!), but it was quiet time we all enjoyed and it calmed me down. FWIW... Hang in there. One day they will be gone, the house will be clean, and god...it will be very very quiet. And empty.

Cobalt, there have been lots of great ideas mentioned to try...

Let the chores go for tonight.... Order take out, after dinner take a bike ride with the boys; after you get them to bed do the glass of wine and hot bath soak with some easy music. Try a watching a chick flick movie from bed or on the couch with the remote in your hand so when you begin to doze off you can just turn off the tv and not have to get up.

I wish I were there, I would give you a massage too. I think that might help with the stress.

R

Thanks everyone. I know I am tired because I am literally tearing up. My boys are 15 and 11 and they are very supportive. We cuddle when we can (don't tell anyone since they are too old to cuddle). Matt and I are diving this weekend so that will relax me.

First, don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep. That way, getting in bed will be a signal it's time to sleep.

Alcohol is a drug.

You might try the ingredient in milk that helps you sleep - calcium. You need calcium anyway, take it at bed time.

Don't consume any caffeine -- ever. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, cola, Barq's root beer, Mountain Dew and chocolate.

When you go to bed, relax, take a few deep breaths, close your eyes and slowly count backward from 5. Say each number 3 times. As you say the number, picture the numeral in your mind. After you've reached 1, take a few more deep breaths. Think of the most relaxing location you can imagine, picture yourself there. This should help you get ready to sleep. Now it's time to put yourself out, this is the part I hate, but it's extremely effective.

With your eyes closed, elevate them 20° and visualize. Picture yourself standing beside a chalk board. Pick up the chalk and draw a large 99 on the board. Now, draw a circle around it. Put down the chalk and pick up the eraser. Erase the 99, being careful not to erase any part of the circle. Pick the chalk up and draw a 98 inside the circle. Continue this pattern until you fall asleep from boredom. If you, by some strange turn of events reach 0, start over. Most don't make it to the 80's.

Sleep well.

If you don't count herbal stuff as drugs you might try valerian. Other than that peppermint tea also works.

Very interesting Walter. I will try that. I already drink Peppermint tea for my stomach and I usually drink apple tea at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom