Sleep or lack there of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got to the pharmacy or grocery store and go to the vitamin section pick up something called valerian root.its a natural herb sleep aide.take it a half hour before your ready to go to bed.hop in bed and read a little you will be out before you know it and wake up rested.it doesnt make you groggy when you wake up. but i wouldnt take it everyday i only take it when i really cant sleep like you it helps alot.
cobaltbabe:
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.

Being a single parent has got to be one of the most stressful situations. I think the previous posts that suggest your problem is related to stress is right on. Unfortunately, most single parents feel like they have to sacrafice taking care of themselves to make sure their kids' needs are met. However, I really believe that if YOU are not taken care of, you have nothing to give anyone else.

It sounds like you have two great kids who are very loving and care very deeply for you. I'm sure they know how difficult things are for you and would be easily convinced to pitch in to help as they seem more sensitive than your average adolescent. Contribution builds character and it's amazing how kids respond to feeling needed.

When I work with my students on issues of stress management, I always make the following four suggestions:

1) give your body healthy fuel
2) rest
3) physical activity
4) do something for fun

When we get stressed, they are the first things that get put on the back burner but, ironically, are the very things we need in our lives to manage the stress.

Take care of yourself, Marie...we are sending out good wishes for you!

HMMM

Sleep what is it again. No seriously i can understand what you must be going though.

My partner and I seperated when our child was 1yr old and i was on my own until very recently, actually he and i got back together and meanwhile he is still away on submarines so essentially still on my own as he and i live on opposite side of country.

Once i get a little tired then i start missing some sleep i find it very difficult to get into routine, so i clean like a mad woman all afternoon, make a nice filling dinner, have a few glasses of wine over hte course of the evening, lights some candles or dim the main lights to start slowing down my brain,a bath and straight to bed.

If i read i find that it keeps me awake and i want to know what happens next & have to read the next chapter on and on til i get to the end etc...at 3am!!

So i just do really normal routine activities and swimming, i also love when i can't sleep make the most of the quiet time put on some nice music, put a less stress eye pack on (a lavendar and herbal infused seed bag that you nuke in the microwave for 20 / 30 seconds and rest over your eyes smells divine and you seriously can't think while it is on and that really helped me in the beginning.

I also took on a full time job and a second part time job and of course my baby boy so i was generally pretty tired anyway just a quick prod in the direction of a bed sent me snoring.

My mother swears also by Velarian.

cobaltbabe:
. Problem is I have 2 hours to get all my chores done when I get home and only that amount of time to spend with my children so do I spend me time or do I spend time with them? God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

It's no picnic, is it, being a single mother? And my kids are younger than yours - although I expect with adolescent boys you have some worries that could keep anyone awake. I know all about the hours of chores after putting in a full work day, competing demands from work and family that you feel will tear you to pieces, having no family close by to help, desperately wanting time alone but also knowing your kids need so much and you are the only one to give it to them, longing for a tidy house where you can actually find things after you put them down, longing for a decent meal that doesn't include hot dogs or kraft dinner or some combination of the two, and then dealing with all the mess and trauma of a divorce. It can really seem like more than anyone can bear. But we do.

I am glad you are finally got some sleep; if you ever want to rant, unload, whatever, send me a PM. Sometimes the best way to disperse all that stress is to just tell someone all about it.

Someone suggested sex as a soporific - yeah, right, if you ever overcome the chores and resultant exhaustion and feel like going out, where on earth do you ever meet a decent man?? Especially one who wants to be with someone who has children!

I work 12 hr shifts half on days half on nights, so I have to turn my body around by 12 hrs every 3 or 4 days. This may sound funny but here is the way I do it. I start at 999 and count backwards by 3 ie 999, 996, 993, 990 etc. after each number i check to see if it divisable by 3 ie add number up 999 = 9+9+9=27. 3 goes into 27. 9+9+6=24. 3 goes into 24. This helps force me not to think about the things that trouble me during the day. It's boring stuff so I fall asleep. Don't remember but about 2 times I made it to zero.

Your story is very familar to me. For about twenty years I suffered with insomnia until I realized that I wanted to change/deal with my type A personality. To make it even worse, I worry and tend to feel guilty about everything not perfectly done. So for me........yoga and hypnosis has helped me sleep much better. The hypnosis helped feed my subconcience that it's ok for me to not have all the chores and work projects done to perfection. It's ok to let go and 'allow' myself to not feel guilty if I have a good night sleep. My mind now lets me sleep......

Anyway, this has helped me a great deal for me. It's all natural and safe.

PM me if I can be of any help. Good luck!

I hate intruding in the women's forum because I feel like it should be a sanctity from us men, hehe. However this topic intrigued me and spawned a few questions.

cobaltbabe:
...God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

cobaltbabe:
Have you been talking to my husband? Lord almighty. LOL

I thought maybe I was crazy or something. I can't figure out if you're single or married. It's not a pick up line, just my obsessive compulsive nature making me curious...and confused.

walter:
First, don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep. That way, getting in bed will be a signal it's time to sleep. <SNIP>

Very good suggestion, I'm going to try that one myself. I've tried counting sheep but it wasn't boring enough. I start envisioning one tripping, another one leaning on the fence, one doing a flip etc etc.

Also, are you the same Walter from Singledivers? You both have that wise and sage-like advice sound when you talk. :03:

Lastly...
cobaltbabe:
I have been reading every night but it produces some very very horrible dreams that wake me up in worse condition then before I went to sleep.
What book(s) are you reading?

cobaltbabe:
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.

VALERIAN ROOT, IT CAN BE BOUGHT AT ANY HEALTH FOOD STORE, TINCTURE IS THE BEST, SMELLS LIKE DIRTY SOCKS, BUT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

"Traditional Medicines" Nighty-Night herbal tea works for me.
Its a beigy box with blue labeling. Probably available at most grocery or health food stores. Its called "Nighty night" ..... not to be confused with "Sleepy time by celestial seasonings" which I don't think helps.
Good luck & good night.

are you the same Walter from Singledivers? You both have that wise and sage-like advice sound when you talk.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'm an administrator at Single Divers. I enjoy this board as well. I've been here since 2000, shortly after SB started. Both are great places for different reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom