Small weights and Zena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like I may only need two 1-pound weights while diving Steel tanks, and I know that Zeagle has those yellow thingies, but I've been told they aren't made for Zenas. I'm also not sure I want to spend a lot of money for the relatively few times I'll be using such a small amount of weights, and I don't want to put them in the rear pockets since the steels already put a lot of weight back there.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on solutions to keep those little weights in my front pockets?:06:

I was told by my LDS that you can use the yellow thingies for the Zena...hmmm....hopefully Scott will weigh in here...I'd like to know because I have my eye on this BCD.

I spoke with Ben at ScubaToys and he said I can use the yellow thingies for the Zena, but that they weren't made for it. Your LDS is right, and you definitely SHOULD check out the Zena...great BC! :D

I'm just not excited about spending the money for something I only need when I dive with steel tanks, which isn't that often, and was looking for an alternative.

Glad to hear that the yellow thingies do indeed work! I'm going to talk to Scott at the Scuba Show...I've tried on the Medium (medium all the way around) and it seemed to fit me like a glove, but I would Scott's opinion before I invest the money.

I often dive 2 lbs with a steel tank and strap a 2 lb hard weight to the tank strap. Would be a lot less expensive than buying yellow thingys.

One approach would be to use larger non-diving weights, a trip to a big sporting goods store might reveal something appropriate like baseball bat weights or soft weight-training weights like this:

http://www.karenvoight.com/store/tool.asp?id=XDONUT

Or you could find your own small mesh bag to use instead of the yellow thingies. I've seen them for a couple bucks at camping stores. Or, if you like cherry tomatoes, you can get them for free (you'll have to figure out a way to close it securely).

lowwall:
One approach would be to use larger non-diving weights, a trip to a big sporting goods store might reveal something appropriate like baseball bat weights or soft weight-training weights like this:

http://www.karenvoight.com/store/tool.asp?id=XDONUT

Oooh, that's a GREAT idea, thanks!!! :D Should be really easy to find weights like this just about everywhere, and for the less than once a year that I'll use them, they'll be perfect. :blinking:

I knew I could count on the board to help me figure it out. :D

DiveMaven:
Oooh, that's a GREAT idea, thanks!!! :D Should be really easy to find weights like this just about everywhere, and for the less than once a year that I'll use them, they'll be perfect.

Happy to be of help. There's one little wrinkle that I realized after I posted the first time. If the material you find is less dense than lead, you'll need a bit more weight (in air).

Here's a final suggestion. Lead is really soft and malleable (for a metal). You could take a standard one pound weight, wrap it loosely in a rag and then hammer it to flatten it out and lengthen it enough that it won't slip out. Get it flat enough and you can even bend it to fit more comfortably.

Or you might be able to find already shaped lead bars or lead sheet at a hardware or plumbing supply store.

Thanks again, I'll have to poke around and see what will work best. The lead bar idea is a good one too, but I also thought perhaps a fishing store would have a 1# weight that has a good shape. Lots to consider...

The smaller yellow weight pouches will work with the Zena, but they were originally made for the contoured pockets of the Escape and Stiletto...

Sounds like you have a couple of good suggestions already, but if you need further assistance, just ask!!!

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom