Smith Mountain Lake - Underwater town - Fact or Fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know SML very well from growing up in the area and fishing the lake quite a bit. I can honestly say I would almost never sink a fin into that lake. Boat traffic is horrible with no one knowing the meaning of a dive flag and very little DGIF officers to enforce it. No natural forage for fish so mud/ silt bottom, and extremely low viz. The lake turns over twice a year and leaves very little time for settling. Aside from that....SML is becoming quite an East Coast mecca for wakeboarding, several pros living and training on the lake. Rumor is Tom Cruise and Jeff Gordon both own houses on the lake.

This summer I plan on going down there and finding the town. :) Or at least some remnant of the town...

I know SML very well from growing up in the area and fishing the lake quite a bit. I can honestly say I would almost never sink a fin into that lake.
I've had my fins in there every summer for the past few years - just not the rest of my scuba gear :)
Boat traffic is horrible.
No argument there - but it is less horrible midweek than on the weekends. If my gear fits in the car, I'm contemplating trying a mid-week dive.

I thought the article said it was removed before they put the dam in.

If you guys did find the town, or bridge, I would deffinatly make a trip to check it out. I think that would make for a pretty cool dive regardless of viz.

I thought the article said it was removed before they put the dam in.

If you guys did find the town, or bridge, I would deffinatly make a trip to check it out. I think that would make for a pretty cool dive regardless of viz.

Its entirely possible that we'll only find the old foundations of the structures and bridge, but its certainly worth a try. I've heard some tall tales about what people think is down there though and I have to say that I really hope they are right! :D

Gee I sure wish I could tell you the name of the shop I called a few years ago, they said most of this was true. That would make this post more interesting. I'm thinking the shop was in Roanoke or possibly more towards Christiansburg. I'm leaning towards Roanoake. They said the lake was dangerous to dive for all the reasons listed here, and that monofilament was a problem as well. (Obviously the fishing around an abandoned town would be SUPERB!) Also, barbed wire fencing is an issue in some places. From what I understood you could see remnants of the timber and graveyard, but he nobody speaks of the town area with the church, etc. Mostly the LDS owner tried to discourage me from diving there and joining them on a trip instead. I don't blame him. Supposedly maps can be had from somewhere......i dunno.

Another person I had talked to said they dived there a lot (they had a barbed wire story) but for the life of me I can't remember who it was or what they said about the town. We talked at length about the lake and the diving, and other than retriving fishing lures and boat parts, there was nothing glamourous or good, I know that. I totally dismissed SML as a potential dive site for myself because of the danger and crappy viz, so I guess I purged that info from my memory years ago.

I grew up in Lynchburg and stayed at SML before it got crazy and when farms were the main attraction around the lake. We snorkelled on some of the shoals and coves when the water was clear and silt was a problem then, even before the major construction. The bottom was a very delicate blanket of silt, several inches thick. I think that would obscure most of what you wanted to see. I remember seeing divers out there on several occassions during one summer....and I remember where they were.....but I'm not telling!

Hey guys, what about using side scan sonar ... then go from there?

I've been poking around at the DIY sidescan systems. Haven't found any sort of PC interface project yet though. People seem to use chart plotters.

Telemonster, I also thought it would be cool to do sidescan (not in my budget...but cool). I think with the timber that was piled in the middle and the collapsed nature of the town, you might not be able to pick out anything decisive. Worth a try if you have the gear though...how cool would that be! A church steeple would certainly show up well and let you know where to look. The graveyard should be easy to pick out on sidescan too, if it's really intact.

I was joking about keeping it a secret....here is a link to where I saw divers: They were in the middle of this map, kind of between the two boats you see here.

mitchells marina, moneta, va - Google Maps

Don't mount an expedition based on that, it was 20 + years ago. My memory is vague, but I remember it because we were in that area a lot and stayed a few houses down in the cove by Mitchell's. It made an impression on me. One theory was they were looking for evidence from a crime....might have been true...it probably wasn't hidden treasure and they never brought up a sunken boat, so I'll go with evidence or a legitimate dive site. I wanted to go see what they were doing but we knew not to get close by water. I hoped to catch them at the marina and ask what they were up to, but they didn't put in at Mitchell's. They were there a few times that I remember, but I don't recall ever seeing divers anywhere else during my years growing up and spending summers there.

There should be some local knowledge out there somewhere....If I remember who I talked to about diving there, I'll track them down and get more info. I hate forgetting stuff like this, obviously it's someone I know and I don't know that many divers. I heard stories from this person about hunting for fishing lures in the coves upstream from Mitchell's and a scary one about getting hung up in some barbed wire (while collecting lures). He said the town was too dangerous and nobody dives it anymore. I've been very interested in what the underwater town really consists of, but like I said I dismissed it as too dangerous for me and less than a glamorous dive for the amount of danger, so I purged some of what I had learned.

Ice9, what tall tales have you heard? Did you hear stories of the huge catfish near the dam? Legend had it that a diver was doing an inspection on the dam and was "approached" by a catfish his size. Poop in the wetsuit was part of that tale too, I think..but only after the teller had a few beers. They say he came up quick and said he would never get in that water again. Other than the big catfish and a few engagement rings, I never heard too many stories of what's down there. An engament ring would be cool to find, but I don't care if I ever come face to face with a 5 foot catfish.....especially in low viz...you'd have to be pretty close to figure out what it was...too close.

~Al

PS: If anyone goes, let us know what it's like and what you find!

I'm going to be there cruising from the 28th to 31st of July on a houseboat. Unfortunately with such low viz, there are plenty of UW obstacles to contend with such as trees laced with monofilament and barbed wire. There is still one body down there that has yet to be recovered by the local rescue squad divers. Not to mention that the water at depth is pretty darn cold. It doesn't sound like fun to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom