Smith Mountain Lake - Underwater town - Fact or Fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I always heard the deepest part of the lake was the area in front of the dam. Here is another map with Mitchell's still marked for reference:

mitchells marina, moneta, va - Google Maps

The USGS Maps that Ice9 posted show the bridge just southwest of the dam, in what I always thought was the largest open area of water on the lake. You can use those 3 little islands as reference points (mid map, breaking up the large area of water). The problem with this area is that boat traffic is rampant. I also heard that current was a problem for diving the "town" (from the LDS I called) but I don't know that current would be so bad in this particular area, I would suspect it more up the rivers where the lake is narrower.

Keep in mind also, back in the day, a lot of people were very upset about the lake coming and taking their land. I heard many tales that the surveying wasn't exactly right and some land was swallowed up when the owners were assured that it wouldn't be. There were many who opposed the lake and could have vented their frustrations by exaggerating what was "lost" when the water rose.....who knows. I also heard tales of people who wouldn't sell out or move. I dunno...it was before my time, but there was plenty of local lore.

~Al

Very interesting thread... Definitely a winter dive, as to avoid heavy boat traffic, and perhaps better visibility. God save those without drysuits though. On to the obvious question though; DivePrincessE, where are the keys to the house mang? :p

That first historical account though leads me to believe that this town probably has nothing interesting to share except danger. Still could be interesting though.

IN THE MEAN TIME... Here is a confirmed submerged town only three hours away from SML!!!
Butler, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, the world lakes database puts SML at a max depth of 200 feet, WAAAY beyond the limits of any rec diver. One could logically assume that the town will probably be close to this depth, as the town would have been located in the bottom of the valley near the river. This assumption would explain A) why it's not a commonly known or visited dive site, and B) why there aren't any recreational dive charters running in the area. Just my 2 cents...

P.S. - Watauga Lake that swallowed Butler is a reported 305 feet deep, so I guess that's out of the question too.

Interesting tid bit... Watauga lake is also the site of the Guinness World Record for longest SCUBA bottom time of exactly 5 days on a single 80... just kidding. but only about the single 80 part. Story is here: http://www.cdnn.info/industry/i040903d/i040903d.html

Also, a google search for "watauga lake scuba" yields various shops and such...

Wow, 200 ft. I would have never guessed that. Since digging was at a minimum, that would be the bottom of one of the existing river beds, probably nearest the dam (since water runs downhill). I always heard it was really deep there, but never thought more than 100 ft or so. Wow.

Let's see; tons of silt, killer catfish, fishing line, barbed wire, deep/cold/dark water, insane boat traffic, downed trees, and nobody wants to say where the town really is? Sounds like a challenging dive.

I say we get the discovery channel or history channel to come find it for us and do a documentary on the town, the lake, and the big dive. I'd be happy to watch that one on TV. What are Chatterton and Kohler doing these days?

Al

That first historical account though leads me to believe that this town probably has nothing interesting to share except danger. Still could be interesting though.

Probably right. But ya never know...

BTW, the world lakes database puts SML at a max depth of 200 feet, WAAAY beyond the limits of any rec diver. One could logically assume that the town will probably be close to this depth, as the town would have been located in the bottom of the valley near the river.

I'm thinking the deepest point is probably very near the dam itself. But my research leads me to believe the town is just east of Vista Point, which is far enough from the dam that I'm hopeful its not that deep. Of course if anyone on this board is out the area, depth soundings 1/2 mile east of Vista Point would be useful! :D

I'm going to be there cruising from the 28th to 31st of July on a houseboat.

Darn. Off by a week. I'll be there next week.

Whenever someone is planning to go looking, post up, I will join in...and bring some extra shears! :)

Well - I don't think I'm up for looking for the submerged town - way too much boat traffic (including some created by my family), and probably a bit beyond my depth, but I am looking to get wet and have gotten pointers to a cove that may have a couple of boats in it. If you're up for just a normal (low viz, perhaps strewn with fishing line and trees) dive, let me know.

P
I'm thinking the deepest point is probably very near the dam itself. But my research leads me to believe the town is just east of Vista Point, which is far enough from the dam that I'm hopeful its not that deep. Of course if anyone on this board is out the area, depth soundings 1/2 mile east of Vista Point would be useful! :D

The average depth of the lake is still 114'; still way beyond a standard rec certification, but easily doable, especially compared to 305.

By the way, if anyone would care to read from the site that I am pulling this info from, that address is SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE

Back
Top Bottom