SMS75 enough lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe I needed any weight with the drysuit, but I put 4 pds between my shoulder blades for trim. I have not had any problem with the wing. I also don't wear cold weather undergarments, usually only shorts and t-shirt

The sms100 is a earlier version of the 75 with I believe more lift. If you can get it cheap I would do that. I plan on buying a Katana just for AL tanks

Katana works just fine for steel tanks as well. Have dove it with HP120's and two stages in fresh water with a 5mm and it was marginal for the second stage, but workable. With a drysuit it would be plenty.

I have a virtually unused SMS 100 I would part with! I got caught up in the SM bandwagon, but concluded that it wasn't the best for me since I dive out of a RHIB most of the time...
what size of sms 100? i am looking for xxl thanks...i was in tobermory last summer and some of our group is coming next week.

WhIle we're on the subject of lift, I do feel the 75 could use more. I have dived 100 hp steels with the 75 and it seemed fine. However, once at the sufaces I felt low in the water even with my drysuit inflated. It does worry me if I ever had a suit failure.
I though about removing the bungee that constrains the wing allowing it to fully inflate. I only use my wing at the surface. I use my suit for Bouyancy. Any thoughts?

WhIle we're on the subject of lift, I do feel the 75 could use more. I have dived 100 hp steels with the 75 and it seemed fine. However, once at the sufaces I felt low in the water even with my drysuit inflated. It does worry me if I ever had a suit failure.
I though about removing the bungee that constrains the wing allowing it to fully inflate. I only use my wing at the surface. I use my suit for Bouyancy. Any thoughts?

You sound severely over-weighted. Are you diving with any lead? If you're neutral with an empty wing and suit at 15ft with empty tanks, there's no reason you shouldn't be floating HIGH in the water with a fully inflated SMS75.

You sound severely over-weighted. Are you diving with any lead? If you're neutral with an empty wing and suit at 15ft with empty tanks, there's no reason you shouldn't be floating HIGH in the water with a fully inflated SMS75.
20lbs is the weight I dive with when using steel LP 72. May have been a tad much when using the 100s but not that much.

which HP100's are you using and is it a pair or single? Is the 20lbs with a single 72 or pair of them?

We have to remember that a pair of Worthington 100's vs a pair of 72's require 7lbs less lead due to their buoyancy characteristics. Also remember that your drysuit doesn't do a lot for lift at the surface because even with the dump valve closed, it will still burp at the neck seal and since it can't get the air much below the surface it isn't going to feel like it's picking you up. Drysuits are funny like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom