Snorkeling and freediving in Funchal, Madeira

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello together,

in August this year I am going to spend two weeks in Funchal on Madeira Island.

Can someone tell me about the possibilities of (beginner-)freediving (not alone!) and snorkeling there?

How is the water quality and what can be seen underwater?

Best regards,
Stefan

Hi!

Maybe a little late, but I was diving in Madeira two years ago with Madeira Divepoint (highly recommended; professional and friendly staff, nice facilities and dive sites!)
Your best shot is probably the "house reef" just outside the pier, with a variety of smaller fish and moray eels typically found in the shallows.

However, if you decide to try freediving from one of the dive sites available by boat, you can expect to find some bigger stuff.
Dusky groupers, comb groupers, great barracudas, dolphins and monk seals (if you are lucky). I'm sure there is more, but these are the species I remember at this time.
This depends of how deep you are able to go on breathhold, of course.

Visibility tends to be quite good: when being midship of an 80m long shipwreck, I could see other divers over the bow section with little difficulty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom