Snorkeling Equipment Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My wife and I are heading to Curacao in October and plan on doing a fair amount of snorkeling while we are there. I am pretty comfortable in the water but my wife, while she has enjoyed snorkeling on other trips we have made (Jamaica & Aruba) tends to get a little claustrophobic at times and just has to get her head up out of the water and rest occasionally.

I think that some type of flotation device would help make her feel much more comfortable in the water and greatly increase her snorkeling enjoyment.

I was hoping the group here could make some recommendations as to what she could use. She has tried a snorkel vest in the past and while it worked well she said it was a little awkward (and I think she was a little self concious about wearing it).

Wondering if something like a 3mm neoprene vest would provide enough additional flotation to allow her to get her head up out of the water and relax when necessary (she is 5'6" 110lbs)

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions

Hello,

A good boyant wetsuit would suffice. I find that drysnorkels helps as well.

Ed

I like the wetsuit idea and have used that approach with my daughter when she was younger as well. It serves as flotation and will keep her back from getting sunburned too.

You might find a good mask with a clear skirt, which feels more open to most folks and might cut down on the close in feeling that a black skirt gives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom