Snorkeling in 1000 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A couple clips from a snorkeling trip yesterday.

Around 20 miles out from Palm Beach.. Who knows how deep it is?

[video]https://youtu.be/h8YfVMPEMdw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;h8YfVMPEMdw]http://youtu.be/h8YfVMPEMdw[/video]

This type of diving is commonly referred to as "Blue water Diving" common practice with experienced spear fishermen.

You might want to obtain some books on the subject by west coast authors;
"The last of the blue water hunters " by Carlos Eyles
"Bluewater hunting and freediving" by Terry Maas
"Free dive !" by Terry Maas
(while you are reading the books note who was a contributor and is acknowledged in the frontspiece)

Diving under floating objects is a common practice in blue water diving; It is commonly called "Paddy hopping."

The practice of fishing under a floating object came to the US via the Japanese fishermen over 100 years ago, They wove large mats which they floated on the surface of the water which created a nursery for juveniles, protection for medium size fish and a food supply for the larger pelagic fish.
You might want to obtain the book "The Abalone Industry in California" by A.L. "Scrap" Lundy which he addresses paddy fishing
(FYI all 4 books have been inscribed to me by the authors. I am certainly not a novice )

Paddy Hopping is currently very popular in California. The only difference the fishermen no longer float mats on the surface , rather the spear fishermen (and worm downers) rely on kelp paddies that have separated from their hold fast and are freely floating.

It is noted that you are a active spear fisherman who freely gives advise and post video from a GoPro which is appreciated by me and I suspect many others who frequent this board. What baffles me is the small size of the fish you spear, you are certainly not very selective . Every time I view your catch I an reminded of a mid west transplant who attempted to join the tribe. He also speared the smaller fish which we considered "bait." Are you also a mid west transplant?

Should you question or wonder about my advice may I suggest that you go to "Passings" on this board to the obituary of Art Pender who was one of the worlds greatest spear fisherman. Some where in the tributes is a little about me and my personal best fish.

Keep on posting ...I and others read them

SDM

This type of diving is commonly referred to as "Blue water Diving" common practice with experienced spear fishermen.

(while you are reading the books note who was a contributor and is acknowledged in the frontspiece)

Diving under floating objects is a common practice in blue water diving; It is commonly called "Paddy hopping."

The practice of fishing under a floating object came to the US via the Japanese fishermen over 100 years ago, They wove large mats which they floated on the surface of the water which created a nursery for juveniles, protection for medium size fish and a food supply for the larger pelagic fish.
You might want to obtain the book "The Abalone Industry in California" by A.L. "Scrap" Lundy which he addresses paddy fishing
(FYI all 4 books have been inscribed to me by the authors. I am certainly not a novice )

Paddy Hopping is currently very popular in California. The only difference the fishermen no longer float mats on the surface , rather the spear fishermen (and worm downers) rely on kelp paddies that have separated from their hold fast and are freely floating.

It is noted that you are a active spear fisherman who freely gives advise and post video from a GoPro which is appreciated by me and I suspect many others who frequent this board. What baffles me is the small size of the fish you spear, you are certainly not very selective . Every time I view your catch I an reminded of a mid west transplant who attempted to join the tribe. He also speared the smaller fish which we considered "bait." Are you also a mid west transplant?

Should you question or wonder about my advice may I suggest that you go to "Passings" on this board to the obituary of Art Pender who was one of the worlds greatest spear fisherman. Some where in the tributes is a little about me and my personal best fish.

SDM

I'm not from the mid-west, but I will take your "bait".

We tend to shoot the fish that are good to eat and legal. Last night my family and ate half the fish I shot yesterday and we will probably have the rest for dinner tonight or tomorrow.

Apparently you feel I should be targeting larger specimens. We burned a lot of fuel to run 20 miles offshore and I have no remorse for taking a few fish that are of legal size and are tasty (my take from the trip was probably 2 lbs of fillets).

It might also be worth mentioning that smaller fish, tend to be younger and this means that the potential for bio-accumulation of toxins such as mercury and ciguatera are reduced. So in short, it is probably safer and healthier for my family to eat the smaller fish.

Of course if I did see a giant (mercury laden) wahoo yesterday, I probably would have pulled the trigger and we would have eaten the meat slowly over a period of a few months.

I've met Mr. Pinder on several occasions and have listened to him speak to small groups at least twice. You are correct, he was a legend in the sport.

I'm well past my prime with respect to diving, (and unfortunately, other more important things). I am very content to enjoy a day on the water, take a few fish home for dinner and even share a few video clips from the outing. This video includes one scene of me shooting a small fish from a depth of 6-8 inches.

I would have hoped that it was pretty clear that I am not trying to elevate my "status" or trying to compete with world class spearos such as yourself.

Boy, that's a lot of answers to questions that weren't asked and advice not requested. You feel better about yourself now?

SDM

---------- Post added September 28th, 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

20 miles from WPB shore puts you in around 2000'. Check out Navionics Webapp

Boy, that's a lot of answers to questions that weren't asked and advice not requested. You feel better about yourself now?

20 miles from WPB shore puts you in around 2000'. Check out Navionics Webapp[/

QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Matter of fact I do feel better..

I suspect have somewhat educated at least two modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers who shoot fish using a pop guns to shoot fish about blue water spear fishing, paddy hopping, and several classic dive books to read - but then again maybe not.

Time will tell..

Stay wet enjoy life to the fullest, dive often

SDM

20 miles from WPB shore puts you in around 2000'. Check out Navionics Webapp[/

QUOTE]

I suspect have somewhat educated at least two modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers who shoot fish using a pop guns to shoot fish about blue water spear fishing, paddy hopping, and several classic dive books to read - but then again maybe not.

Time will tell..

SDM

I really have no idea what the hell you are talking about with pop guns and sucking tubes, but do you have any pictures of yourself doing any of this stuff?

I'm from the midwest and like to eat the smaller fish. Less mushy and the meat is cleaner. I would rather leave the large adult breeders, better for the long term maintenance of the fisheries. Cheers

Time will tell..

SDM

Selfserving, selfpromoting uncalled for 'advice'. If you look up passive-aggressive baiting', I'm certain that Sam's name comes up first. Talk about unhelpful, quixotic, insulting posts. Sheesh.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you guys are being way too negative about Sam's post. I enjoyed DD's video and Sam's anecdotal discussion of spearfishing on the west coast. I really do not see Sam trying to belittle DD, just offering his perspective on skin diving, spearfishing and how it was done "back in the day." Read it as what it was meant to be - a voice from the past. I've read a couple of the books Sam listed and they are interesting reads. Leave it at that. I know this is ScubaBoard, but there is no need to bash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom