Snorkeller Dies Off Cemetery Beach Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sorry to say that the Caymans had a record year for water-related deaths in 2015 and here is the first death of 2016; I hope that the trend does not continue.

Visiting snorkeller dies off Cemetery Beach
Cayman News | 20/01/2016 |

(CNS): A 65-year-old man visiting the Cayman Islands was pronounced dead at the hospital on Wednesday morning after snorkelling off a West Bay beach. Police said the 911 Communications Centre received a call at around 9:30am that a man had encountered difficulties in the water off Cemetery Beach.

According to the RCIPS, when police and EMS personnel arrived at the scene, and the man was unconscious. CPR was administered and the man was transported to the George Town hospital, where he was pronounced dead just after 10am.

This is the first person to lose their life at sea in 2016 after 15 deaths last year in or on the water.

This fatality was not diving related. How did the 15 deaths in 2015 break down with regard to diving vs. non-diving related?

If you expire snorkeling, you would of most certainly had the same result diving....

If you expire snorkeling, you would of most certainly had the same result diving....
Largely different subset of people and different activity. You wouldn't include all water related activities, jet ski, paddle board, kayak, windsurfing, kite boarding, sailing... I'm most interested in scuba diving accidents and deaths, no reason not to break them out from the others.

If you see the difference between sailing and diving and the difference between snorkeling and diving as the same difference, then there really isn't any point in having a conversation....

If you see the difference between sailing and diving and the difference between snorkeling and diving as the same difference, then there really isn't any point in having a conversation....

...with you. See my post re 7 of 15 water related fatalities scuba diving related. Raw statistics for water related deaths are not very useful. This is SB, I'm most interested in scuba diving

I'm not doing a statistical analysis phd paper. The snorkeling statistics (as few of them as they are) I could really care less either way.

Of the seven divers who lost their lives this year, all were tourists over age 50. The youngest diver death was a 53-year-old technical diver from the U.S. who was using a rebreather in West Bay in late May. The oldest was a 70-year-old man from the U.S. who also got into trouble off West Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom