Snorkelling with whales in Sri Lanka (land-based)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thought about a trip to Sri Lanka for snorkelling with whales and some sight seeing, either in March/April or beginning of September. I don´t want to go on a liveaboard.
I heard about snorkelling trips with blue whales off Mirissa in the South (day trips) , main season is apparently November to April. Most trip reports are only about whale watching.
Can you recommend the best place for land-based snorkelling with whales and the operator and season?

Cheers, Liberty

Hi Liberty,
I am also planing a trip for whale watching in march this year 2017. If you could suggest any trip report, website or anything else, it would be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks a lot and happy new year!
Larry

Wow. I've been thinking of doing a land based Sri Lanka tour whilst I'm on this side of the world. And I've got time in March, adding snorkeling with whales makes my heart flutter faster!!

Thanks Centrals, and glad to hear you are attracted by the plan for March, chillyinCanada :)
I researched "whale watching in Trincomalee": the season seems to be April to November, please correct me if I am wrong: I have never been to Sri Lanka and I am looking for first-hand experiences and tips.
My main source of information is this article:
Blue Whales - The World’s Best Places for Whale Watching and Swimming

Apparently, the best place in March-April is in the south, this place called Mirissa.

This website disagrees, however, and points to December and January:
Snorkel with Blue & Sperm Whales in Sri Lanka

This website says the best season is November to April:
Diving and Snorkeling with whales Sri lanka

In one way or another, March seems to be in most websites' peak season.

If you are interested in the trip, chillyinCanada, we might try to combine resources in order to make it smoother…? I will probably be alone cuz my gf is stuck in Singapore for family reason, so I would be interested in traveling in two (or more) in order to get a better deal for the snorkeling boat, which I understand is a "real" boat that travels a couple of hours off shore. The reviews on tripadvisor are mixed to say the least, this is one of the best operators according to tripadvisor's reviewers, but it's just watching and not snorkeling:
Whale Watching Club (Mirissa, Sri Lanka): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

I have emailed this company (who says November to March is prime time) and I am waiting for their reply:
http://www.acediversuk.com/swim-with-blue-whales-sri-lanka/

Any thought you all care to share will be welcome and appreciated: ignorance is bliss, they say, but when planning a diving/snorkeling trip I'd rather err on the side of extra-knowledge :)

Happy New Lunar Year to you all.

Larry

I'm as "ignorant" as anyone else. I'm also based in Singapore for the time being but leaving mid-march or would be ecstatic to have company. Sounds like the whale snorkeling isn't going to turn out for me. I wonder now, if I'll go at all. Hmmm

Great to hear you are also in Singapore! We are heading to Maldives this Monday (I am about to post about it right now in the Asian board). After that, I will try to do a quick week in Pulau Weh, if you are interested. I have just started a travel blog called www.WeBlogWater.com and I will post updates about the dive trip reports there, besides writing a dive trip report for Scubaboard. We might be busy tomorrow, but if you are around after February 27, we can try and meet up, if you are interested. Larry (and Wen Yu, my gf)

:) great stuff. We've got the Chinese New Year's family stuff going on too!

I'm headed for Jakarta on Tuesday for a few days and then shortly after that off to North Sulawesi.

Have a great time in Maldives and we can compare notes after we're both back.

:) great stuff. We've got the Chinese New Year's family stuff going on too!

I'm headed for Jakarta on Tuesday for a few days and then shortly after that off to North Sulawesi.

Have a great time in Maldives and we can compare notes after we're both back.

just watch the local news Indonesian TV, there's congregation of more than 20 whalesharks in probolinggo, east java this week. The local fisherman charge Rp. 5000 (less than 50 cent) per pax to get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom