So how does Cave training work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone please explain how cave training is broken down and what exactly can you do inside a cave after each training component? A lot of times course descriptions use terms like "jumps," "gaps" and "circuits" which may need a bit of an explanation to someone who is getting into overheads for the first time. I would also like to hear from experienced cave divers and instructors as to how many independent, non-training dives are recommended between each training component to advance to the next level.

Thanks in advance -

Sinbad

You are asking for one heck of a lot of information--about a book's worth. Here is something of a quick summary.

Different agencies do it a bit differently. Most have four levels that take you from the cavern level (introduction to the skills) to cave certification. In the intermediate levels, you are limited to the amount of gas you can use during a dive and the difficulty in the navigation you can do.

Well-traveled caves have a main line that you can follow. That line often (not always) begins far enough back that it cannot be seen from the entrance. In theory, that is a safety feature that prevents an untrained diver from following it, but that is debatable.Most side passages off that main line also have guidelines in them, but they are usually not connected to the mainline so that divers following the main line are not confused as to the way out, especially if there is a siltout and they are following by feel. Going to such a side passage is a "jump." A cave diver will therefore usually have to use a primary reel to go from the open water to the main line, then use however many jump reels or spools are needed to connect to however many side passages are going to be followed.

The time it takes to complete the program depends upon the starting skill set of the diver. Some people start cave training after being accomplished technical divers, and those people progress very quickly. If you have no such training, it can take a very long time.

Other skills involved include finding a lost line during a silt out and finding a lost buddy. For most beginners, the hardest skills are simply maintaining buoyancy and trim. Losing either in a silty passage can be disastrous.

You may receive different answers to your question because different agencies will have different modules. They all center on the same thing: that is, ensuring you have the training and equipment to dive safely according to the level of your training. The route is just slightly different, is all! For example, I received NSS-CDS training, which has four distinct modules: Cavern, Basic/Intro (I took Cavern and Basic together), Apprentice, and Cave (or "Full Cave", as it is informally known).
  • The cavern course can be taken using your existing gear, with a few tweaks and modifications, but you will never leave the daylight zone, exceed 100 feet of depth, or go through a restriction (where you pass single file). There are other codicils specifying visibility at the start of the dive and the like.
  • Basic Cave divers are confined to the "main line" only: there are no navigational decisions allowed at this level. Penetration is limited to one-sixth of air supplies (assuming the use of doubles; there are standards governing the minimum quantity of gas available at the start of the dive), and again, there is a depth restriction. This cert used to expire after 18 months or so, but that's no longer the case.
  • Apprentice level allows for some limited decompression diving, and penetration is allowed up to a third of air supply. Very simple navigation (a jump or two, going off to side tunnels) is allowed.
    • As penetrations get longer, limited deco is inevitable in Florida because of the depth of the caves - it's less likely in places like Mexico, where the diving is generally (but not universally) shallower. I think there's a preference for folks to take an advanced nitrox/deco procedures course at this juncture, so they won't be perturbed by the use of O2 when it's time for the next step. That's the path I took, and I'm glad I did.
  • "Full" cave introduces more complex navigation, such as circuits and the like. No staging or scootering is allowed. A total of 16 training dives is required to reach this point.
That's just one trajectory, but as I said, different agencies have different ways of training divers. NAUI, for example, has two cave modules. Cave I allows for non-deco dives with a bit of navigation thrown in, whereas Cave II trains the diver to perform more complex navigation using stages. I hate to answer your question with "it depends", but it really does.

Some people take all these courses at once, whereas others like to space them out and get a few dives in before proceeding to the next level. I got in about 20 dives between Basic and Apprentice, for example. On the other side of the scale are folks who never move beyond Basic: they are perfectly happy puttering along the main line, and that's just fine. I know a couple of folks in Floridian cave country who fall into that category, and more power to them.

Last edited:
so this is my opinion. I am not a cave instructor, but I am an active/experienced cave diver.

I did a 0-hero course in 8 days so there was no diving between. I was trained properly before hand, so there were no fundamentals that had to be taught and also had reel skills which helps.

I'm excluding any and all course work and lectures for reference, and assuming you have passed something like a GUE Fundies type class where you are at least a halfway decent diver. Unfortunately for most, Cavern/Intro is basically intro to tec/fundies with a bit of cave diving thrown in. I hate this, don't agree with it, so I'm going to pretend like you have your sh!t together before you start and is how I would run a cave class and is how some instructors run them if you are a good diver. This is also pointed at Florida cave diving where there is really no cavern zone to speak of in most of our caves, so doing a formal "Cavern" course is basically a waste.

videos of all of these skills here. I don't know Bil, some of the skills aren't executed as well as I would have liked, but the skills are all there and show you what to do. They are not a substitude for proper training obviously, but if you're curious, they are here.
Bil Phillips

Cavern/Intro
Skills: running of primary line, single file air sharing, blind air sharing, blind exit.

Day 1: Skills overview. If this is your first time with the instructor, which it likely is, they will have you do reel skills and then 0-viz skills in open water to make sure you can follow a line properly, preferably with touch contact. On land before you start you will go over things like primary/secondary tie off's and how to do them, and different line wrapping skills for proper line placement. Light communication, touch communication, s-drills, single file air sharing, and if in sidemount valve feathering can be gone over. This is a BIG day and will set the tone of the rest of the week for you. Depending on your location this may take place only in open water, or a combo of cavern/open water, but can all be done in OW.

Day 2: Basically another skills day and should be the start of cave diving where you go into the cavern zone and basically are practicing running your primary line into the gold line. Expect to lose your gas and all of your lights to make an air sharing, lights out exit. This is annoying and you will be frustrated, but you'll get over it. Depending on the cave profile, what size tanks you have, how good your SAC rate is, and how far back the gold line is, you may not get much past the tie in point because running line sucks a lot of gas for most new divers. You'll do this as many times as you have time for in the day.

Day 3: same thing, running the primary line to the gold line, tying in, and going into the cave until you hit your gas limits *this will depend on the agency and instructor*. Assume that at some point during the dive all of your equipment is going to fail and you will be coming out blind while sharing air. Expect a lost buddy drill once on the gold line, as well as lost line drills.

Day 4: repeat and complete

Apprentice/Full
Assuming with same instructor so they know your skills
Skills: learning how to "jump" off of the main line, learning about complex navigation, and decompression in the cave

Day 5: jumps: learn how to tie in a jump reel, cookie/arrow placement and how to navigate through them by touch. You should know this because you already learned how to tie into the gold line for your lost buddy drill where you can see, and you know how to tie the reel onto the gold line from your lost line drill as well as tying the primary into gold line. So combine the beginning of a lost buddy drill, with the end of the lost line drill, and voi la, jump. Expect to lose gas and lights and exit blind.

Day 6-8: You will basically be doing the same thing but with more complex dive planning. Circuits, traverses, etc. No new skills really, but you learn how to properly plan a circuit and traverse which require a bare minimum of 2 dives to do properly but typically 3 *you only get 2 if you are lucky on where the lines end up for clean up. One in, place cookie at thirds, one "out" and if you hit that cookie before you reach turn pressure you can complete the circuit/traverse, and then a third to "clean up" depending on how the cave is set up. Expect to have lights out and air sharing here, and include decompression planning and execution.

For the NAUI style 2 step plan, day 4 is replaced with day 5, and day 5 is included in the first course. GUE I believe is similar, but have slightly different limits. I much prefer this style of training since a 5 day course which allows you to make 1 navigational decision while diving to thirds of your gas is actually enough for the majority of cave divers, while Intro limits of 6ths with no navigational decisions is far too restrictive forcing divers to go to full cave. This is my opinion though so take it for what it is worth.

To your specific questions.
Gaps=short jumps. Technically supposed to be done the same way, but some are actually so close that you can use a double ender bolt snap to connect the two. Rare, but they exist. Example here is the jump into Kings Bypass in Jackson Blue.

Circuits are a complex dive plan where you "jump" off of the main passage into a side passage, and that side passage connects back to the gold line at another location. A super "complex" dive plan is a very common dive in training at Peacock Springs that combines a traverse and a circuit called the "crossover". Technically you are making a traverse because you end up in another sink-hole, but since you can't enter at that sink hole, it has to be treated as one dive. Anyway, the plan would be to enter into Peacock 1 and go up the Peanut line, place a jump into the crossover tunnel, then jump out onto the gold line in the Olsen tunnel. You can choose to go into the Olsen tunnel until you hit thirds and place a cookie, turn around and come back, or you can pop out at the Olsen Sink and then turn around. Dive 2 is go into Olsen and if you arrive at your jump reel before you hit thirds, then you can complete the circuit. Some instructors will allow you to "clean up" on your way out since you have a verified line back to the surface, others won't. I prefer to clean up on the way from that dive.

To your specific questions.
Gaps=short jumps. Technically supposed to be done the same way, but some are actually so close that you can use a double ender bolt snap to connect the two. Rare, but they exist. Example here is the jump into Kings Bypass in Jackson Blue.

A "gap" is supposed to be when 1 line comes to an end and there's another end somewhere. These can be short or long and may or may not cross open water with sky above your head. What makes a gap unique is there is no navigation decision to make. If the two ends are connected you continue on, there is no turning the wrong direction possible. There are more gaps in Mexico than FL since there are often many additional cenotes along the way.

Last time I was in JB in July 2016 (a month ago) the jump to King's bypass was about 8ft maybe even 10ft down from the gold line. I suppose in theory you could pull the goldline down to the King's bypass line with a double ender. But this was definitely not a gap since when swimming out of King's bypass you can go right and further into the cave or left to exit.

Ps I ran a spool since I don't like pulling lines all over the place.

touche, thanks for correction and time to reread the manual... Woops. I don't actually know of any gaps that people connect in Florida. I guess you could technically connect across Challenge and Olsen, but I don't know anyone that does since exit is possible from both locations.

Last edited:
touche, thanks for correction and time to reread the manual... Woops. I don't actually know of any gaps that people connect in Florida. I guess you could technically connect across Challenge and Olsen, but I don't know anyone that does since exit is possible from both locations.

Telford?

Can anyone please explain how cave training is broken down and what exactly can you do inside a cave after each training component? A lot of times course descriptions use terms like "jumps," "gaps" and "circuits" which may need a bit of an explanation to someone who is getting into overheads for the first time. I would also like to hear from experienced cave divers and instructors as to how many independent, non-training dives are recommended between each training component to advance to the next level.

Thanks in advance -

Sinbad
Regarding the GUE curriculum, a fundamentals tech pass is required before starting cave. Plenty of threads about that.

Cave 1 teaches you the basics of cave diving and problem resolution in a cave environment. Things like following the line (always have a continuous guideline to the surface), installing a line, gas management, managing equipment issues, lost buddy, and lost guideline. 5-7 day course.

Min of 25 cave dives needed before cave 2. Imo more is better.

Cave 2 teaches more advanced cave diving techniques. "Complex navigation" involving side passages (jumping from one line to another, for instance) exiting from a different location (a traverse), and exiting a different route from the one you entered on (a circuit). Advanced gas management like diving to 'thirds', use of stage bottles, basic decompression, and siphon diving. Also 5-7 days.

Additional topics learned after cave 2 include use of DPVs, cave survey, and deep cave diving. A lot of that is 'OJT' from an experienced cave diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom