So what is your excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would fall on the close proximity to a suitable dive site.

I know when i was stationed in mississippi. I was right on the gulf coast. but hardly dove there becuase you need a boat to get far out to be deep enough to dive. would have to drive 4+hours to the springs in the pan-handle of FLA or got to p-cola or fort walton beach to catch a charter.

String:
However without further training or experience that risk of them hurting or killing themselves is massively increased as a south coast coroner reported last year.

Cold waters, low vis, rough seas, thick exposure protection IS a big difference from say the red sea and does need extra practice or training with someone experienced. There were several cases last year alone where people were hurt or killed jumping into the sea or inland sites here having only dived abroad and getting into difficulty.

yeah i well believe this..i learnt in the cold stuff, then on my first warm water trip i was listening to this guy go on about how he had almost 50 dives, in grand cayman, bonaire, hawaii, he sucked down an al80 in 20 mins, was first back on the boat, and watching him have trouble in a little 3mil wetsuit with hardly no weight all i could think was he'd need his hand held for a long time in cold water...

not saying it can't be done...just need a little help to make the switch

RIDIVER501:
That would fall on the close proximity to a suitable dive site.

I know when i was stationed in mississippi. I was right on the gulf coast. but hardly dove there becuase you need a boat to get far out to be deep enough to dive. would have to drive 4+hours to the springs in the pan-handle of FLA or got to p-cola or fort walton beach to catch a charter.
3.5 hours east is the MA coast, 3.5 hours south is the NJ coast, 4-5 hours northwest is Ontario.

That's pretty much that.. it sucks but I deal :wink:

lord1234:
How about "not certified yet" (this weekend)

That is a technicality not an excuse.
04.gif

one shouldn't be racking up dives (except training dives) if one isn't certified yet.

Couldn't dive last night - didn't get home until 10pm. Have to do honey-dos tonight.

I will dive again Saturday, so this week I'll only get 3 dives in.

Those are my excuses.

Don't own my own gear yet. Only one place close by. Kids at home and an elderly mother to take care of...life in general...lack of funds.

Yes even though I am a dive instructor I still have to do a bit of tap-dancing to get (Commander- In- Chief) CINC house give me my diving liberty card, for fun dives. except when on vacation. We are there for me to dive like a maniac, so she is happy enough to lounge around in the sun.

I don't own any of the equipment other than my mask, snorkel, and fins, so the cost is a huge factor right now. Once I can afford to buy some equipment and skip the rental fees I will be able to dive a lot more often. We just moved to Florida last week, so I am hoping to get a lot more diving in.

Andrew

Not owning your own equipment can be a problem, but ultimately investing in gear can get you diving more for a variety of reasons.
you have your own gear so you aren't at the mercy of an LDSs hours of operations.
you want to dive so you didn't just throw your money away buying the gear.
Over time, the gear you saves you money on rental.
My favorite is: it is your gear...you know where it has been.

Back
Top Bottom