So what is your excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate diving in the local lake and the nearest decent salt water diving in the Flower Gardens is a two day boat trip away...and the one I was supposed to go on this week was cancelled! Since it costs a minimum of $700 for a decent diving experience for me and my wife, we don't get to go all that often.

It’s sad to admit that I was diving much more (at least 40 days per year) when I lived in Kansas than since I’ve moved to an island in Florida, but hopefully that’ll change this summer. Business had me on the road 3 weeks out of the month for the first 2 years here, and I just came off a 4 month recovery from a pinched nerve in my neck that caused DCS like pains in my arm.

I went off shore Friday planning on getting in some fishing and diving, but we hooked up with a few large dolphin fish (dinner was sure great) and wound up fishing longer than planned and then the storms started up just as we got to the wreck we wanted to dive. The best I could do for the weekend was strapping on a tank and spending 20 minutes working on the drain in the bottom of the pool and cleaning some of the hard to clean places in the pool.

I used up the gas in all six of my tanks this week and won't get fills until Monday. Oh well - six dives last week with nearly 9 hours of bottom time is still slacking for me.

OE2X:
I used up the gas in all six of my tanks this week and won't get fills until Monday. Oh well - six dives last week with nearly 9 hours of bottom time is still slacking for me.
That is why you continue to be "THE MAN!"
Are you going to be around for some dives when I come up there in two weeks?

As to the question: I was wet last weekend. Did a shallow high speed drift dive in the Colorado River, but other than that, work and family obligations have kept me dry for the last two weeks. Conditions in California have been a little miserable for the last part of last year (winter is usually the best time to dive in So Cal) all the way up to March. I've got 18 dives so far this year when I normally have 40 or so. What are you gonna do? :11:

Giggi:
Don't own my own gear yet. Only one place close by. Kids at home and an elderly mother to take care of...life in general...lack of funds.

Rent or borrow gear, or buy used.

Many dive sites within a few hour drive in Illinois.

Maybe once a month? You can do it if you WANT to. Email me if you need someone to dive with--and who has spare gear to share.

theskull

I am disgusted with myself. I can see the (very glassy) Atlantic form the roof of my house, live within minutes of 5 dive ops and even have my own boat. But the lawn needs cutting, the garage needs cleaning, the kid has soccer game, got a report due Monday and the dog needs to go to the groomer.
Got more bottom time in the ocean when I lived in Indiana.

Splitlip:
I am disgusted with myself. I can see the (very glassy) Atlantic form the roof of my house, live within minutes of 5 dive ops and even have my own boat. But the lawn needs cutting, the garage needs cleaning, the kid has soccer game, got a report due Monday and the dog needs to go to the groomer.
Got more bottom time in the ocean when I lived in Indiana.
Responsibilties? We don't need no stinkin' responsibitlies!!!

Today's excuse:

Father's day BBQ with the family (and granddaughter's 3rd birthday).

RIDIVER501:
Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" Most of the people asking the question only logg around 10 dives a summer if that.
top 3 excuses given are:
Nobody to dive with.
too busy on the weekend.
too much hassle.

My counter question is why do you dive to little?
one of My DM candidates started coming to the fun dives the shop holds once a week and ended up logging 10 dives in a month with little effort.
people go out on week nights. why not go knock out a wed night, night dive?
or if you aren't night dive certified or don't like diving at night, the sun isn't setting until late. heck even if it were setting at 7 one still has at least a 2 hour window to make one dive between 5 and 7, close proximity of water permitting of course.

so if you are an infrequent diver, or some one who doesn't dive as much as you'd like, what is your excuse? maybe this should even be a poll?

I can only dive twice a week. My wife actually likes it when I'm around and my kids start to address me as 'sir' if I spend too much time diving. From Monday to Thursday I work 10 hours a day and DM one evening so there isn't much "slipping away" room in that. Where I live a "quicky" takes about 3 hours round trip. I do dive on 3 Fridays a month and I manage about 30 weeks a year to get out on a weekend day (about 1/2 of that is DM-ing). I guess I could make several dives on a day but I rather prefer to make one 2 hour dive than to make two one hour dives. In any event the number of dives I make stopped being important to me many years ago. These days it's all about quality.

R..

Back
Top Bottom