So you think scuba diving is expensive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Water Certification-$400
Dive Gear-$1500
Airfare to great dive location-$450
Accomodations-$1000
Dive package-$300

Drifting weightlessly along an amazing reef with nothing but bubbles in your ears, discovering a juvenile eel poking his nose out of a piece of coral, watching the courtship of two frogfish, dancing with an octopus as he changes colors in an attempt to disguise himself, helping a turtle dislodge himself from a piece of littered fishing wire, meeting other divers and sharing stories of the deep..........PRICELESS!!

...No, diving down into the inky blueness, wondering what fate the shipwreck held, how many hands perished aboard, what was their mission, perhaps there are artifacts and gold coins, etc...PRICELESS!

Seahunter, either you bought your gear used, or you have very cheap scuba gear. And PLEASE tell me where you can go diving for $5 a day. I had the misconception of buying all my gear for around $1200. That was BEFORE I actually saw all the gear needed and wanted. Needless to say I have invested well over $500.00, and that's being modest.

Diving can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. I have 30K invested in diving. Do I regret it. Not a chance. For the people complaining about dive trip prices, lets face it you were going on a trip anyhow. Now you get to go diving while your there.
To me is dive expensive no way. I spent 100k racing personal watercraft.

Skiing. Add the price of gas to get to the hill, meals and lift passes. There's a $100 a day and you own your own gear.

Air fill $5

If you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't be doing it.

T

Someone said:
""For an initial investment of less than $500 (the price of cheap set of golf clubs), you can go scuba diving for about $25 a day.
Get all the gear you need for scuba diving, say $1500 (the price of a good set of golf clubs, a nice mountain bike or a ski outfit) and you can dive for $5 a day.""

I say:
For 1500$ u.s. currency?
Hahaha, in the lovely state of nj it costs me nearly that just to insure my truck to drive me to the shore dives.......
My stake in dive equipment:
For my b.o.w. class (gear and class plus dive fees...)
1500.00$ u.s.d.
Living in nj, with an average one day dive trip costing approx 75.00$ plus an additional "required gear"
your looking at about 2500.00$ owning your own gear.
If you wanted to be warm while diving. Cheap drysuit 750.00
or a full-go cf200(i dont wanna know how much I paid for that.)
Personally i have 15,000.00$+ in dive gear.
Then advanced classes.........
hmmm saw a nice compressor on the net.

Dive trips cost me about 3,000.00$ last year.
(spent summer in florida being a bum)

Nitrox, Oxygen and Helium ( way to damn much per year.)
Last year 200 dives on nitrox per tank on the cheap side.
50 or so on trimix
used my 20 fsw o2 deco set up a bunch of times......

If you get hurt playing golf...... It cant be more than getting bent on vacation without dive insurance.....or getting thrown out of your house cause your g/f or sig. other got pissed that you bought new gear that you had to have......

I couldnt even imagine being married to a lady that dives. Id be living in a trailer somewhere in south east P.A.
But, the 75.00 dive trip could turn into a cheap date, depending on how many lobsters you caught, and how many cans of beer you have left after the trip:)
If you dont think thats expensive, please tell me what kind of job you have, id quit mine and go back to school.....

You know what, I wouldnt trade it all for the world.
-g
But if i traded all my dive gear for a nice car, id prolly get more chicks...... Oh well they will have to deal with a semi-retarded dog and a ford pick up.

I second that!!!! I couldn't have said it better. I live in NYC. The cheapest dive boat I've been on is $40.

seahunter once bubbled...
For an initial investment of less than $500 (the price of cheap set of golf clubs), you can go scuba diving for about $25 a day.
Get all the gear you need for scuba diving, say $1500 (the price of a good set of golf clubs, a nice mountain bike or a ski outfit) and you can dive for $5 a day.

Let's not perpetuate the myth that scuba is expensive. It's not true and it stops people from trying it.

An initial investment of $1500 gets you all the gear you need??
Well whatever that gear is i dont want it. To safely dive in the PNW and do anything beyond the occasional 40 ft dive you pay more than $1500. $1500? yes maybe by doing the cheapest & shortest possibly weekend class and buying the cheapest gear the used divegear shop has to offer :wacko: I am assuming you do want training :confused:

i have invested 10K+ so far and havent even gone cavediving yet
give me a break, scuba diving IS expensive.

"I live in NYC. The cheapest dive boat I've been on is $40."

Hey,
If you could please post the link. As long as they dont make the divers row out to the site, id look into it.........
-g

The name of the boat is The Karen. It's based out of Brooklyn. In Gerritsen Beach. The only draw back is that when you board the boat, they clamp on these big shackles and they got this big guy with a whip to make sure eveyone pulls their weight. :D

But serioulsly, the boat is around 42'. I can get you the number and the boat schedule. I just need a couple of days. The worst thing about the boat is that the whole back of it is wide open and not covered, so you're exposed to the sun all day long. the cabin is kinda small. The Capt. and crew are very nice and knowledgable.

Yes, bowling is MUCH cheaper than scuba. But bowling ain't cheap. Gear and other costs for a serious bowler might include:

* 6 balls for different lane conditions/purposes @ $150 per
* 4-ball roller bag (two balls stay at home) @ $175
* two pair of linds classic shoes (to alternate) at $100 per
* league fees of $15 a week times four leagues per week; also, tournament fees from $25 to $100 times, say, 3-6 events per year
* team shirts for one league (considered uncool in the other two) at $50 each
* miscellaneous wrist braces, rosin, ezslide, two types of ball cleaner -- shiny finish and dull, etc. $100-$200
* side bets

and don't forget the real killer:
* innumerable pitchers of beer, cost better left untallied....

:wink:

seahunter once bubbled...
Scuba diving is also less expensive than any of the sports named other than bowling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom