Solo trip to Cocoview resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubachris743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone. So I finally narrowed down my summer 2016 trip to a amazing cocoview resort. It will be my first time there and from everything I've read, it won't be my last! Anyways, my question is regarding the solo aspect of it. Ive never been on a dive trip without knowing anyone there(family/friends) I know us divers are friendly and always there to lend a hand, but what do you solo divers have for advice? Is there anyone else going in the August/September time frame. I plan on going to 2 weeks as well. Thanks in advance :)

You have made a very good choice for your summer trip. I have been on many dive trips to CocoView and lived on Roatan for a while as well. You shouldn't have any trouble finding friends to dive with on the boat you are assigned to. You will also make friends in the dining hall to make shore dives with. It's like camping for adults with lots of friendly people. I'm still friends with people I met on my second trip there over ten years ago. Sorry I won't be able to join you on your trip but I know you will have a fantastic time.

Reactions: Doc
've been solo many times. the most important thing is to circulate and get to know everyone. you'll find some good friends and some dive buddies. have a great time.

You won't be solo for long. By the time you "get off my boat" for the second dive you will be family. I'll be there in 4 weeks for my 8th trip. Dive by myself with all my boat buddy's. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your responses. Im sure all of you are right about not being solo for long! :) Ill make sure to make my rounds with everyone there and take in the full experience.

Over the years I have visited CCV, I've accumulated quite a list of Christmas card friends, bunches of shared photo discs, more than a couple of SCUBA widgets mailed to/from me from those I've met, one or three comely SCUBAettes that I've helped out of their rubber suits, and the unique feeling that "I'm home" when I hit the dock upon arrival.

Like any new social situation, some people just slide in seamlessly, for sine it takes a bit of effort, and some few are terrified. I have found very little at CCV to describe to guests it attracts as anything other than a gregarious group if soggy people who are happy to talk diving and gave you along with them on a dive.

Often, dive buddy groups are defined but fairly expansive, meaning there could be three to six in a buddy group. This becomes quite the norm in CCV environs because of the nature if your macro/micro targets. It pays dividends to hunt closely in a pack. Quite often there might be two photographers teamed up with one or three spotters.

In terms of safety, one of the mitigating factors is the overall shallow dive profiles. True, you can drown in 3 or 30 feet of water, but statistically you're less exposed with an overall dive average depth of 31ft for 1:15. Most divers do wait a bit longer to experiment with solo diving, but not only us it allowed at CCV, but after you understand the geography and underwater landmarks of the "Front Yard", it becomes a perfect training ground for this advanced skill.

Every night, there will surely be at least one party hitting the water at 8pm for a Night Dive. Be sure to ask if you can tag along. Do every night dive you can- opportunities such as CCV's shire night dive are rare in the dive world.

Go, be sociable, carry your address book, listen to some divers, look at their rigging, I've always seen something to learn while visiting CCV.

Coco View is an excellent land based choice to go as a single diver.
The only issue I have ever seen for single divers (anywhere) is if there is a self absorbed dive club/group there the same time as you.
I saw this once at Buddy Dive on Bonaire and thought the dynamics were very interesting. Could have been a college physic course.

All the best on the trip!

You will more than likely be on the same boat for the week....so being social during your first boat trip will yield you friends and buddies for the week. I've been there 4 times with my daughter. During the first year she was doing her OW check-out dives. During subsequent years she would do most but not quite all the dives I did. My boat mates were always happy to have me buddy up with them for dives when daughter wasn't on the boat. During meal times it's just a matter of asking folks if they would be OK with you joining. My daughter and I would do this with other folks from our boat....no one ever says no :)

Finding night (or early AM) shore dive buddies might take some additional asking around if folks on your boat aren't game...or often if you act as the ringleader and ask folks on your boat if they want to night dive you will find someone who will happily join in.

You will have a great time.

You will have a great time at Cocoview. It is exactly as described above - dive camp!!!

Back
Top Bottom