Some advice, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I'd personally dive Curacao also if you have the opportunity. I think it's better than Bonaire - certainly more interesting diving."

Can you elaborate on this just a bit. The major reasons you feel this way? I've been to Bonaire twice, thinking of heading that way again soon. I do love the small island feeling of Bonaire and all the shore dive sites.

Thanks,
Bill

"I'd personally dive Curacao also if you have the opportunity. I think it's better than Bonaire - certainly more interesting diving."

Can you elaborate on this just a bit. The major reasons you feel this way? I've been to Bonaire twice, thinking of heading that way again soon. I do love the small island feeling of Bonaire and all the shore dive sites.

Thanks,
Bill
Been to both; settled on Bonaire. IMHO, the shore diving locations on Bonaire are easier to get to and there are more dive sites accessible without a boat. The diving and fish are very similar. On the other hand, friends who live on Bonaire take a vacation every year to dive on Curacao because things are at least a bit novel relative to what they have seen during their thousands of Bonaire dives, with a few uncommon (relative to Bonaire) fish species also possible to find.

I enjoy 2 island trips but only if I have at least 2 weeks because the packing, unpacking, and traveling is too much hassle during a 1 week trip. We like longer trips because we are spending the money on the airfare so why not take some extra time to look around and enjoy being there? Plus it really gives you time to relax. Another good thing is that you have a higher chance of finding good weather during a 2 week period. It is very disappointed when you are only there for a week and the weather doesn't cooperate.

If we take a liveaboard we also like to spend a week on land; or if we are doing a land-based trip then a week on each island - like a week on Grand Cayman and a week on one of the Cayman sister islands. Or spend 2 weeks driving around Florida and the Keys.

I think our most ambitious Caribbean trip was to Saba. We spent a few days on St. Martin, then a week on a liveaboard diving the area, then we got of the boat and spent a few days on Saba, we also squeezed in a shore excursion to St. Kitts. It was great fun but probably a bit too complicated.

But we have also stayed put for 2 weeks in one location, like Bonaire, and had a great time. If you had extra time I would say, go ahead and visit both Bonaire and Curacao but if you only have one week then pick one and make the most of it. And has been mentioned you will probably need time to dry you gear and "wait to fly" between locations. There are a few places that have ferry boats between destinations (Cancun and Cozumel, St. Thomas and St. John, and St. Martin, Saba, and St. Kitts) but not the ABCs!

If you like shore diving, just do Bonaire. If you prefer boat diving, just do Curacao. If you want to do both, do Bonaire. Aruba pales to both for either.

I would just stay on Curacao... go to Go West and have the time of your life.

@UNDR H2O

Not sure how your trip will touch all 3 islands and the total duration, a week?

Personally, I take the opportunity to dive whenever I can. I have never dived in Aruba but have been to Bonaire and Curacao. In many ways, I find them complimentary rather one is better than the other.

In Curacao, we stayed in the West end and dived with Go West as per @NetDoc suggestion. The house reef there, Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland, is very good, day or night, almost as good a Bari Reef on Bonaire. We enjoyed our boat dives and shore dives very much. The shore dives are a little farther apart, more driving off the main road, but as said, generally have very easy entry/exit, not always true on Bonaire. There is, perhaps, a little more diversity in the sites than on Bonaire. If I'm lucky enough return to Curacao, I would probably try to get in some more adventuresome dives with Bas Harts BAS HARTS DIVING CURACAO and/or Dive Charter Curacao Dive Charter Curacao | the most exhilarating scuba diving The East Point North Coast both look very attractive.

We love Bonaire and have spent considerably more time there. They don't call it Shore Diving Capital of the World for no reason. There are so many good sites, some easy, some not. We also enjoyed boat dives to Klein Bonaire. The house reef at Sand Dollar/Den Laman, Bari Reef, is very good, day and night. Diving on the East side is a fun change of pace to the usual sites Bonaire East Coast Diving - Unforgettable Scuba Dive Vacation Adventure

Whatever you decide to do, it should be a great dive trip

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom