Sometimes the Sea is Calling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So I made a trip to my favorite High Gluten Factory aka Pioneer Bakery for some treats. I decided to pop across the street and take a look at Handcuff Reef because we all know the calming effect water has on divers. And this is what I see. Luckily The Dive Gods were smiling upon me and I had all my gear AND a full tank.
Some days are good, some days bad and some days are meh.
Today was a really good day

1678745595241.jpeg

Wow...... the only thing across the street from our local bakery is a police station!

I don't know that site. How was the dive?

Wow...... the only thing across the street from our local bakery is a police station!
Lol that is because the site is named Handcuff Reef due to a police substation that used to be next to the Bakery. Cop shops together with bakeries must be a thing some places.

I don't know that site. How was the dive?
It is an easy entry site on the north shore of Cayman Brac. Entry down a ladder into an area next to a boat ramp and out the little cut that some locals jokingly call the Panama Canal. Short swim over hardpan for a few hundred feet until you hit a depth of about 20 where there are coral fingers until you reach about a depth of 50ish feet where it opens up onto sand flats with isolated coral heads scattered around. Smaller sea life around coral fingers and heads, usually the biggest fish are the Nassau groupers. Rays including eagle rays are usually on the sand flats with the rare sighting of a reef shark. The site is too far for the dive boat to frequent so you usually have the Reef to yourself. Going in and out of the cut, you are wise to stay near the bottom due to boat traffic. If you have done the site during the day, then it makes a nice night dive due to easy navigation, restrooms with fresh water shower and a nice lighted area.

Thanks. The furthest I generally venture on the north side is Radar Reef. I have only seen Handcuff Reef from the boat on the way back from a Brac run.

So I made a trip to my favorite High Gluten Factory aka Pioneer Bakery for some treats. I decided to pop across the street and take a look at Handcuff Reef because we all know the calming effect water has on divers. And this is what I see. Luckily The Dive Gods were smiling upon me and I had all my gear AND a full tank.
Some days are good, some days bad and some days are meh.
Today was a really good day

View attachment 774370
Great view. where is this? Any underwater photos or videos? :)

I miss the water, thankfully March 28th off to the Caribbean

Attachments

• IMG-20220306-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220306-WA0012.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 47
Thanks. The furthest I generally venture on the north side is Radar Reef. I have only seen Handcuff Reef from the boat on the way back from a Brac run.
Other than occasional boat traffic at the ramp Handcuff is a very easy dive. You just head straight out the cut and there are a couple of underwater markers. The further east you go it seems like the coral fingers might be a bit higher

No pictures as I didn’t bring a camera this trip. Luckily I didn’t see anything super amazing.

I must admit it was kinda nice just cruising around by my lonesome not thinking about taking pictures or what the heck my dive buddy is doing now.
I miss the water, thankfully March 28th off to the Caribbean
Nice photo. Where are you going to be diving in the Caribbean?

Nice photo. Where are you going to be diving in the Caribbean?
For the last for 5 years years I have made at least one trip to Sosua, Dominican Republic. usually for my birthday. Not exactly the best dive sites but it was where I started and I have a great relationship with a dive shop owner and his family. They say they are my Dominican family...Then May4th. 11 days in Egypt.. The picture was taken in Roatan, last summer, the same 30 people who went to Roatan are going to Egypt. We all come from Toronto Canada

For the last for 5 years years I have made at least one trip to Sosua, Dominican Republic. usually for my birthday. Not exactly the best dive sites but it was where I started and I have a great relationship with a dive shop owner and his family. They say they are my Dominican family...Then May4th. 11 days in Egypt.. The picture was taken in Roatan, last summer, the same 30 people who went to Roatan are going to Egypt. We all come from Toronto Canada
I know that myself and I am pretty sure others would love a dive report when you get back. Have a fun and safe trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom