Sony RX0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huwporter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
New announcement:

Sony RX0 1.0-type sensor ultra-compact camera with waterproof and shockproof design

Should offer RX- level image quality in a GoPro size body - I've been waiting for someone to do something like this for ages,. The idea - a larger sensor in a tiny body - has huge potential for UW imaging, as a backup camera, or as a tiny primary camera for travelling light, or on tech dives where you might choose not to take a full size rig.

As a generation 1 product, I can see a few major shortfalls as a decent dive camera. 1: Limited to 1080 internal recording; needing an external recorder for 4k ain't going to work UW. 2: No image stabilisation. 3: Going to be video lights or available light only for now - doubt it has any way of triggering a strobe. Maybe generation 2 will fix some/all of these.

Now if one of the housing manufacturers wants to offer a decent dive housing with wet wide-angle lenses...

Already done. Sony is offering its own housing for the camera depth rated to 330'. Man I want one of these to stick on top of my Rx100m5 setup. What a combo that would be.

Sony Housing

That is "a" housing, but to be a decent dive housing it needs either a dome port, or (better), an attachment point for wet wideangle lenses. The 24mm lens behind a flat port will give you about a 32mm equivalent angle of view - way too narrow for general shooting but not long enough for macro.

It's a step in an interesting direction, but it seems like a beta-release as far as UW video goes.

I agree that it's not going to replace a dedicated photo rig anytime soon, especially with no flash trigger, but the housing does have 55mm threads so it could easily accommodate something like a big eye lens or similar and make a nice compact video rig or secondary camera. Obviously quite a bit more than a GoPro, especially with the housing, but I'm a huge fan of Sony image sensors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom