Sound off!! Whats your favorite Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of ya are using Apeks - never realized they are so good. All I heard about Scubapro or Pos. are the best regulators around. I am glad to know there is another favorites.

I am just the beginner and all my equipments are new so I am using Cressi-sub Ellipse for now. Not a bad regulator!

3 HOURS AGO I got on this thread hoping to find an opinion on the best (or in this case) the most popular regulator. After 135 dives with a 12 year old (used) Scubapro MK10/G250 (which has never given me problems) setup I still have no freakin idea which regulator to buy next! I have read with an open mind- what all of you like//buy//swear by// try to push ///// I have to admit that there is much to research. Can anybody, with no reason to push any brand, please try to give us an honest opinion, of a regulator for warm water (above 60 deg) that would be a great choice for the $300.00 to $450.00 range (including first stage). I use a 12 year old MK10/G250 and love it. My girlfriend uses a cheap entry level Mares (which I would never buy). I'm only concerned that it's time to buy myself and my girlfriend a new setup. I don't want to hear about the problems that Scubapro has with their new X650, although I wish that they were resolved. I'm wide open to a simple/ common 3 or 4 hundred dollar setup each. I don't care about cold water freezing, free flows and all of that, as I only dive these fresh water quarry's once in a while(and stay above 47 degrees). I just want a reliable couple of setups that don't have to have 200 dives per year and a $50.00/$100.00 yearly maintenance fee (for replacement parts/labor). If there was a Consumer Reports of regulators for warm water diving for those that don't care if their regulators had (inhale pressures- I don't know the terminology) of .8 or 1.2, just let me know. I'm thinking that the level that I'm looking at is in the Scubapro level of G250/MK16 or MK25. I'd love to hear from those that have had great experiences from the other brands that can do dives from 60 degrees (fresh water) to 84 degrees (salt water). No fancy high tech dives here (yet). I seriously apologize to those with all kinds of experience and opinions about which is the best and second best. There are those of us that can still finish a dive successfully without a serious debate over who's regulator is the best. Again, any opinions on a couple of simple setups that might make the great diving experience a fun and safe vacation. Finally, who can give me a first and second stage, with an adjustable (air intake) if needed, for around $300.00 or $450.00 for water above 60 degrees?

So much thanks,
Matt

divematt:
3 HOURS AGO I got on this thread hoping to find an opinion on the best (or in this case) the most popular regulator. After 135 dives with a 12 year old (used) Scubapro MK10/G250 (which has never given me problems) setup I still have no freakin idea which regulator to buy next! I have read with an open mind- what all of you like//buy//swear by// try to push ///// I have to admit that there is much to research. Can anybody, with no reason to push any brand, please try to give us an honest opinion, of a regulator for warm water (above 60 deg) that would be a great choice for the $300.00 to $450.00 range (including first stage). I use a 12 year old MK10/G250 and love it. My girlfriend uses a cheap entry level Mares (which I would never buy). I'm only concerned that it's time to buy myself and my girlfriend a new setup. I don't want to hear about the problems that Scubapro has with their new X650, although I wish that they were resolved. I'm wide open to a simple/ common 3 or 4 hundred dollar setup each. I don't care about cold water freezing, free flows and all of that, as I only dive these fresh water quarry's once in a while(and stay above 47 degrees). I just want a reliable couple of setups that don't have to have 200 dives per year and a $50.00/$100.00 yearly maintenance fee (for replacement parts/labor). If there was a Consumer Reports of regulators for warm water diving for those that don't care if their regulators had (inhale pressures- I don't know the terminology) of .8 or 1.2, just let me know. I'm thinking that the level that I'm looking at is in the Scubapro level of G250/MK16 or MK25. I'd love to hear from those that have had great experiences from the other brands that can do dives from 60 degrees (fresh water) to 84 degrees (salt water). No fancy high tech dives here (yet). I seriously apologize to those with all kinds of experience and opinions about which is the best and second best. There are those of us that can still finish a dive successfully without a serious debate over who's regulator is the best. Again, any opinions on a couple of simple setups that might make the great diving experience a fun and safe vacation. Finally, who can give me a first and second stage, with an adjustable (air intake) if needed, for around $300.00 or $450.00 for water above 60 degrees?

So much thanks,
Matt

I would go with the low end of the Atomic line. The Z1 will breath the same as their upper-end regulators that cost over $1,000. The difference is in the materials they use in the regulator - titanium, monel, ect. My favorite is the M1 which can be had for $525 to $575.

CarbineBoy:
I would go with the low end of the Atomic line. The Z1 will breath the same as their upper-end regulators that cost over $1,000. The difference is in the materials they use in the regulator - titanium, monel, ect. My favorite is the M1 which can be had for $525 to $575.

I am not quite sure why you are feeling the need to upgrade your rig..is it just time because you wanna?

Bang for the buck? For the price range you are speaking about, paying retail, I would probably go with the Atomic Z1 or the Aqualung Titan LX. Either can be had for the range you are seeking...online you can get the Z1 for $299 or and the Titan LX for about $230, so both will translate into your price range at your local dive shop if you are persistant about them treating you right.

Now for a bit of a off the wall suggestion - if spending money here is NOT your objective, but you want to get a really sweet breathing regulator that will blow the doors off of your G250 and will work wonderfully for you for years in the environment you dive in - there is a guy selling IDI Tri-Metal regs for about $140 on ebay and on the ad board here at Scubaboard. Hell, they use to wholesale to the dive shops for over $200, and you know how steep the margins are in dive shops! I would defy anyone to be able to distinguish the Tri-metal from an Atomic or any other high performance reg at depth. It simply breaths like a million bucks. It is very light and comfortable in the mouth,,,actually shares most of the ergonomics of the Atomic. The only real issue with this reg is support - here is the deal - IDI is out of business due to law suit screw ups and the like....between the ownership groups, not because of a quality issue.

However you can still get support for these regs for years to come and if you do just a little bit of planning, you should be able to dive them until your teeth fall out, or your girlfriend's do. The assets of IDI were purchased by XS Scuba, who is a dealer already associated with tons of dive shops. XS is putting out the Tri-metal as the XS Scuba Tri-metal - same reg except for name on the purge cover. Additionally the chief engineer of IDI is still supporting the IDI stuff and will service for you and if you are pleasant will sell you service kits and parts so that you could have these regs serviced for a very very long time.

So here is the plan - buy 2 of these Tri-metals for a total of $280, contact the IDI engineer and buy $120 of rebuild kits and LP seats and stash them away. So for $400 you are there. Now you still have an additional $400 burning a hole in your pocket, so then you can start looking at dive computers...or upgrading your BC....or......

If you are interested I will be happy to point you to reviews of these regs. They really are an asskicking deal.

......brands that have been discussed here. I am currently diving Apeks ATX 200. Not in the price range specified but the best regs. I have ever dove, by far. My wife is diving the Apeks APX 50 that is very easily in your price range. Though the first stage of these regs. vary, I think it breathes as well as my ATX 200. I think I over spent on the ATX 200. These regs. are great in almost all conditions and depth.

Go for the Apeks ATX 50, you won't regret it.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom