SP A700 vs APEKS XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if you were to purchase an A700 or one of xtx series what would it be

Personally I use Apeks - I have FSRs, FSTs, DSTs & Tek3s, they all work well for a specific purpose, whether it be single tank, doubles or stage bottle regs - but both Apeks & SP make great regs. I would base my decision on whether there were local parts & service available for each brand. The shop I do most of my diving out of is an Apeks dealer, and most of my regular dive buddies use Apeks as well, if we ever need to swap bits around

So if you were to purchase an A700 or one of xtx series what would it be
Apeks DS-4 + XTX-50
I would prefer the discontinued ATX over the XTX because why paying extra for something absolutely useless ie. Reversible Venturi System(RVS) and Diver Changeable Exhausts System(DCE).

I am using Apeks US1, US4, DS-4, DST and FSR.

I disagree that DCE & RVS are useless... DCE wide is good for your primary, narrow is good for backup. I have a lot of ATX second stages and like them, but the bubble interference is noticable and annoying to me as a primary. On stage bottles or as secondaries they're fine. RVS can also be useful for stage bottles to give you better hose routing when in use, if you sling bottles both sides. There are probably some other applications for it, sidemount maybe

ATX also have the 1/2" LP ports which ARE absolutely useless and inconvenient to boot

I like DSTs for stages as you can stow the hose nicely but get better routing when deployed... US4/DS4 I'm not a big fan of, for doubles I use Tek3s.

But I assume the OP is looking for a single tank setup, if he wanted Apeks I would suggest an XTX100 pair (with FST first stage) and an ATX40 secondary. You could pick that lot up on eBay at a good price and have a rock-solid set of regs that will grow into a doubles kit in the future if needed

I replaced an ATX second with an XTX second because the ATX's exhaust tee could not be changed and the bubble interference was annoying. I suspect that my experience was not unique, and that this was one of the reasons why Apeks designed a replaceable tee into the XTX.

+1 for XTX 200. fantastic breather and the wide DCE DOES make a difference in routing bubbles away from you field of vision. would recommend getting the swivel for it though.

I went with the Scubapro one since my LDS has that and not the Apeks ones.

Just use braided a LP hose like Miflex, no need for a swivel

i think perhaps i shall try this. i can understand that the Miflex hose would work. the regular rubber hose is too stiff.

.... Look, the Apeks XTX 200 and the Scubapro A700 are flagship models from both companies, both are top breathers, bulletproof reliability. The choice comes down to simply, would you prefer metal regulator over plastic polymer? Both have metal barrels also, so unless you plan on going ARCTIC ICE DIVING, which I would only recommend the A700, beyond that the Apeks XTX 200 is Boss.. The A700 is more glitz and glam of regulators because if you were more interested in an honest comparison you would compare the XTX 200 to the Scubapro S600 or 620ti, as All are plastic top of the line regs that are bulletproof reliable. I own ALL THE ABOVE.. And honestly, I am not the biggest fan of Scubapro 1st stage regulators, I much prefer the Apeks 1st stage regs, personally the XTX 200 over ANY of the Scubapro MK25's. This is what I have my A700 paired with the XTX 200 STATUS and XTX 200 as back-up octo. The ONLY Scubapro 1st stage I care about and actually use is the MK21 because I despise rotating turret regs, I like fixed. And the size and performance of the MK 21 for what I do is perfect piston for my needs. With this MK 21 I pair with my G250V and TX 50 as back-up. both are tanks, reliable, durable and easy to maintenance, so this is my May thru October set. The XTX 200 status and A700 are my November thru April set. I have a loner set that I have buddy divers use, the ATX 200 with the S600 and Mares Prestige as back up octo, which breathes amazing paired... My best advice is try things out, get knowledgeable about products so you YOURSELF can meet your needs, relying on other peoples input helps, buy can also lead to disappointment if your personal goals are not met. But you are in the right direction choosing either Apeks or Scubapro, PERIOD.. Some people do not like to mix and match brands, but I create my set to meet my needs from experience and exposure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom