spear fishing stringer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
Fellow Spearfisherman,
I'm curious to know if you attach your stringer to your BC or your gun/pole. In the past I've hooked mine to one of the lower D rings, but changed during my last trip after being pummeled by this weekend's dinner (and few more dinners). If you hook it to you gun, how much of a lead do you use?
Thanks,
JAW

I do 2 things. First, I still wear a weight belt with bullet weights. We mold our own, so 1 weight on each side of the belt has a brass clip attached. I sometimes clip my stringer, the big clip, on my weight belt. It works.
When I used to free dive and spearfish, there was a rig that I learned about... this is good. We attached a 15' line to the clip on the weight belt. The line would be attached to a lobster buoy.
Now you have a lobster buoy trailing behiend the diver for 15'. At the end of the buoy you have a clip that holds a stringer. The main idea is in case of sharks, your bloody catch is trailed 15' behiend the diver.
The best idea iin my opinion is to have a float where you can put your fish in. That way the catch is out of the water.
One day we ran into a huge school of stripers, we were on the backside of a reef in 10' of water. We shot at em until the tanks were dry. That must have been for an hour. I had the big fish clip on my belt, shot a 30 pounder and cliped him to my belt. No time to fool around, had more to shoot at. Got a 30 and a 12 pounder that day, What a great day.

If you have lots of "tax collectors" you want it away from you or in your hand.

If you haven't figured out how to throat a fish to give him an attitude adjustment clipping off to you is a bad idea. A throated fish is no problem clipped off.

Small fish should go in an opaque game bag to confuse the tax collectors. The bag can be clipped off.

If you hook it to the gun when the tax collector comes by he gets the fish, the stringer AND the gun. Starting to get expensive here.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom