Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LariatAdvance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been on a 10 year hiatus and just getting back into diving.

When I was diving, I never did the spearfishing thing because I didn't have a boat and they didn't allow them on the cattleboat charter trips.

What stuff do I need to know before buying one? I assume the longer ones are more powerful/accurate than the short ones? Does JBL or Riffle or other brand stand out over the other?

Thanks

Last edited:
Buy a gun that's appropriate for the game you intend to hunt. The larger guns are more powerful and appropriate for the open blue water game. If you're looking into holes then a smaller gun will work better. There are as many gun manufacturers as there are car manufacturers....

Rob Allen, Omer, Pathos, Riffe, JBL, AB Biller, Wong, Aimrite, Mako.. Heck you could custom build your gun if you have the tools and inclination... Look at Nautilus Spearfishing, Spear America, Neptonics System or Freedive Shop. You'll see the endless list of choices.

Thanks. I think most of my hunting would be on the rock jetty and near coastal areas, not "big game" out in the gulf stream. I've seen some huge grouper on some of the wrecks but I don't think that would be a regular activity for me because my smaller boat wouldn't go out that far. Sheepshead, 1 to 1 1/2 ft size ? Flounder 1 to 2 ft size? Maybe the AB Miller Mahogany 32 special?

It's a hard question to get a straight answer at any shop because usually their "best" gun recommendation is what they have in stock or what they have the highest profit margin on or what dealer they are.

For bottom fishing on scuba I don't think there's a better gun out there than the Ocean Rhino. Call Kevin (Owner/Manufacturer/Retired Commercial shooter) at Spearfishing Specialties in Largo, FL and explain to him the type and style of hunting you want to do. He's an honest man and won't sell you something that won't fit your needs. Tell him CuzzA from SpearBoard sent you.

I really like the gun because it's rhino coated and nearly indestructible, has a very fast speed load system for line shafting, kill package which includes a spike in the muzzle for self defense and a hand held kill spike in the butt for dispatching green fish, can hold up to three shafts, extremely accurate and powerful. Only need to use one band for any fish in the sea depending on what size gun you use. For what it's worth, I'm 5'8" and use the biggest model, the RX5. Many guys buy smaller guns and regret it.

I highly recommend buying his DVD, "Barebones of Spearfishing"

Ocean Rhino | Spearguns manufactured by Spearfishing Specialties

Last edited:
pay a visit to spearboard.com and spearfishingplanet.com - there's a lot of helpful folks and don't be afraid to ask and buy used. JBL & AB Biller are probably the #1 first guns for most folks - fairly decent and relatively cheap. If you plan on getting serious look to the other manufacturers but be prepared to open that wallet (another reason to buy used). Most of the commercial spearos seem to lean towards the Rhino though

Get a JBL 38 special to start with. You aren't going to hit anything anyway, not for your first few outings. There's no reason to spend $500 on a euro or a fancy gun until you think you'r going to like it. I got mine at the local pawn shop for $100, and it works fine to this day. I lend it out to other folks starting, even though I have moved along.

It's kind of like going out and buying the best titanium regulator for your OW class. Yes, it's the best, but if you decide you don't like it, you'll never get close to what you have invested back.

Start with something smaller like the 38. You have to load it in the water and the only leverage is against your body. The larger guns are difficult to load, technique is important. If you have trouble pulling the bands you can get a load assist like I have. I got mine from Bandito Spearguns in Marathon, FL for $20.00 it is made much better than the Rob Allen loader. I have a Alemanni 105 double rollergun. It was no fun to load, it is easy to load now!

BanditoSpearguns’s new blog | Tikilive Site Tell Aaron the Drager guy sent you, you might get a discount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 255
I've been on a 10 year hiatus and just getting back into diving.

When I was diving, I never did the spearfishing thing because I didn't have a boat and they didn't allow them on the cattleboat charter trips.

What stuff do I need to know before buying one? I assume the longer ones are more powerful/accurate than the short ones? Does JBL or Riffle or other brand stand out over the other?

Thanks

Please take a few minutes to check out my website. We offer some very high quality guns and extremely good prices. We only sell direct, there is no retail dive shop, wholesaler etc. Between you and the product.

Other than custom built guns, all commercially sold guns use latex bands which were made in a factory and installed on the gun before it was shipped to the wholesaler and then on to the retail store.

However, since our guns are not assembled until the day they are ordered, we hand make our bands on the day the gun is ordered. We use the best latex available (Primeline) and our bands are the freshest possible because they are a day old when we ship.

Compare that to a gun in a dive shop that was made 6 months or two years ago and has sat in a retail store since that time.

We offer the best spear shafts available. Our come from South Africa and they are much harder and stronger than stainless steel shafts which are offered on the brands mentioned above.

I could go on for a while about what sets MAKO apart from the others, but this link addresses the differences.

Why Buy A MAKO Speargun

If you are starting out and diving inshore near a jetty you want a speargun and shaft that can handle some abuse and missed shots into the rocks. That is one application where our standard Hawaiian flopper shaft will really stand out, There is no threaded shaft end or screw on tip to break off at the threads, We eliminate that possibility with a simple and robust shaft.

In limited visibility, you want a shorter gun which you can swing and aim quickly because fish will pop up in front of you quickly in limited visibility and they may leave just as quick. You will not have the time to swing and aim a large gun. You want a gun that can punch through a fish at the limit of your visibility - a bigger gun with more range that shoots well past your visibility does not provide any real benefit and might actually be a hazard.

So for your conditions, a 90 cm MAKO Predator Pro is probably the perfect gun. Robust, simple and can be ordered with two bands. When shooting in limited visibility and into holes etc. - you can load one band and this will provide good power, but it is less likely to get you shaft stuck or damaged by point blank shots into rocks. I would recommend a single wrap of 400 lb monofilament line since you will have abrasion from the rocks etc.

If the visibility is frequently less than 10 feet, then an 80 cm gun would be a better choice.

If you are freediving in anything other than very shallow water, we recommend the use of some type of floatline. This line connects the rear of the gun with a float on the surface. Presumably, you would want to have a float with a dive flag on it, if hunting from shore. This allows you to drop the gun and swim to the surface and then go back down and get the fish and gun.

If you are scuba hunting, just hold onto the gun after a shot, which should not be a problem for moderately sized fish,

Thanks!

Dano

Predator Pro 3rd Generation Speargun | MAKO Spearguns

MPP3GR-2T.jpg

Last edited:
If you are scuba hunting, just hold onto the gun after a shot, which should not be a problem for moderately sized fish

Or put your arms through the bands.

I have a order building up to place with Mako which will include a pole spear and while I don't own a Mako gun, I've seen many threads of remarkable customer service. In fact, going out of his way to contact customers that report an issue on a board, but not directed at them.

Also, if you're in the market for freediving fins, which I recommend you get for chasing down fish, you can't go wrong with Mako's fins. If you lose one, you can buy a single fin. I'm not aware of any supplier who offers that deal.

Thanks Mako. All good and valid points.
It never occurred to me about the visibility on the rock jetty. An obvious point, but one you just don't think about.
Max vis around here on the jetty is less than 10 feet unless is some freakish exceptional day.

Sort of like the old adage about owning a Ferrari when the speed limit is 55 MPH. :)

Back
Top Bottom