Spearing on Scuba and sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wanted to get the opinion from you guys that spear on scuba.

I recently got myself a pole spear and a zookeeper plus stringer. I’ve only been able to catch so far (in 2 dives) a decent hog and a one lion. I wanted to understand how you guys scuba if you have successfully caught say, 1-3 hogs and multiple lionfish (or any for that matter) without concern of sharks? I’m in south Florida and on my first dive with 2 dead lion fish had a decent 6-7 foot nurse shark scare the hell out of me - he was chomping at my zookeeper while I was looking under a ledge for lobster.

Do you guys have the fish floating above you and not dragging along on your body? Curious on techniques, etc.

i don't spearfish but i have seen some spear-fishermen shoot their catch to the surface with small lift bags for the boat to pick up....

After you jab the nurse shark a few time's with your spear he will usually loose interest. Keep your stringer in your hand, same hand that holds zookeeper. Keep your gun in the other. If you can't get the sharks to leave you alone it's time to surface and try another spot.

I tried to lift my fish to the surface once. The bull sharks rode followed them to surface and had a buffet. Guys on the East Coast do it all the time though.

I keep my lionfish container clipped off to my waist or drop it to the bottom when I'm using my spear. My stringer is usually attached to my gun so I can protect it. Like Waterboy said, when a shark comes in, give it a good jab, preferably in the nose, and it seems to get the point. They are persistent though, like stray dogs looking for scraps. I usually just string my lionfish now with my other catch, but I wear puncture proof gloves.

When I see a shark I usually aggressively swim toward it with a burst of speed. They see it every time and it seems to spook them a bit. I don't think they're used to that in the water. Keep in mind that sharks also know when you're looking at them and will intentionally try and circle behind you--this is according to research, not something I just made up. So if you follow them with your eyes and move toward them they seem to get the idea you're not prey. Depending on how sharky it is, you may also want to time your shots to when sharks aren't right next to you.

don't hunt around sharks. there are several areas around that we don't allow divers to hunt from our boats due to the numbers of sharks. Plenty of areas for good hunting.

i've never had a problem with sharks and lionfish in my ZK. I've actually lost more fish to Goliath Grouper than to sharks.

when i'm seriously hunting, i'll shoot my stringer up on a marker before i ascend. Sometimes a sharks gets a meal....sometimes i do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom