Special lenses for mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same problem. XS Scuba makes a Look Down Reader Mask where the bottom of the lens is angled and 1.75+ strength. I find it perfect for reading my computer and since it's angled it doesn't interfere with looking straight ahead.

I tried the stick in lenses and they wouldn't stick. When I got some hydrophobic tape and glued them on, I realized that they're a bit smaller than I wanted since I didn't feel like I could just glance down like I can with the Reader mask.

If you need more magnification, Scuba.com also has a bunch of masks you can order with bifocals in many different strengths.

Keep in mind, some people cant use bi-focals (like me for example). For some reason, probably because of all my martials arts training for peripheral vision , bifocals totally mess up my overall vision.

It was an odd discovery.

I too have had trouble with stick in lenses sticking in. I am a 58 year old tri-focal wearer, but I find that pop in pre-ground lenses work just fine, but I do have one custom ground bifocal mask, which cost several hundreds of dollars. The pop ins are a fraction of that price. I pop in a left lens that I can see close through, and pop in a right lens that gives me totally clear vision at distance. I learned that from people who have lazik surgery, where the procedure implements that plan, and it works great. I commend it to you.
DivemasterDennis

i got pop in ones for my mask, not too pricey (100 CAD) and I love them! Im not opposed to contacts, Im just lazy and dont feel like wearing them :p

I ordered a mask from my LDS with corrective lenses, readers in the bottom of the mask. The correction is good, but.... I'm real sensitive to anything, ANYTHING just a little off in my glasses. The permanent readers are fine, but only one eye at a time. The lenses are much farther away than my actual PD (Pupil Distance) of 65mm. I can only focus through one or the other by looking slightly sideways through one lens or the other. I needed to order a real prescription mask for my very nearsighted wife. I researched this issue and ordered one from Prescription Dive Masks I ordered one for myself, after speaking with the optician (who is a diver) about my concerns. I haven't received them yet, but many reviewers speak highly of his work.

This is totally traumatic for me but I just came to the realization that after a lifetime of 20/20 vision and never having to worry about corrective lenses, I suddenly can't focus on stuff that's close to my face, like my freaking dive computer, air gauge, and compass! :cussing: I guess that comes with turning 43.

I'm just coming to grips with this, so maybe you older divers can tell me what I'm in for. Am I going to need bifocals? A special mask? Contact lenses for diving? What do other fogies do who can't read their dials but otherwise see fine?

I'm not the "fogie," but I do wear progressive/bifocals on a regular basis. Honestly, I've been fortunate enough to where I can see my computer underwater good enough to not need lenses in my mask yet. A few of my dive buddies tried to convince me to get em, but I know if I can see or not.
Anyhow, the water acts as a magnifier for me.
I have dove with contacts in the past and had no issues, although I've had friends who said they can't b/c of pressure changes on the eye causing eye shape to change slightly and the contacts can be irritating.
It's all personal preference, but I'd look into the expenses as well. Rx lenses can be quite expensive. Maybe DAN has an eye doc they recommend for something like this. One of your local shops may be more knowledgable as well.

I wear Bifocals & use OPTX stick-on lenses (+2.5), & so far (50 dives) no problems. For me they are essential.

Get gauges and computers with bigger displays.

Seriously.

I love my Wisdom 2 computer because of the big numbers.

A buddy of mine continues to use his Brick (Orca Edge) for that very reason.

I like analog gauges 'cause I can see the needle and know where the numbers should be. I also have the the stick on cheaters in case I actually have to read anything accuratly.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Anyone run across something that can be attached directly to a gauge face?

Prescription Diving Mask Lenses

They make gauge readers lens for their masks.

I have a SeaDive Mask and Mares X-Vision both with RX lens (no gauge readers since I am nearsighted and old)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom