Special lenses for mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are 3 companies that put your precise prescription into your mask. (we are one of them - Welcome to Dive-Vision.com, Divers first choice for prescription dive masks and Asia's premier prescription dive mask and swim goggles supplier) The lenses are exactly the same as your glasses and are permanently bonded into the mask which reduces the fogging normally associated with clip in lenses. I know a lot of people wear contact lenses but any mask with lenses is safer than using contact lenses as they can be dislodged if your mask fills with water. There is enough going on underwater without having to worry about a contact lens around the back of your eye!
Please get in touch if we can help.

There are 3 companies that put your precise prescription into your mask. (we are one of them - Welcome to Dive-Vision.com, Divers first choice for prescription dive masks and Asia's premier prescription dive mask and swim goggles supplier) The lenses are exactly the same as your glasses and are permanently bonded into the mask which reduces the fogging normally associated with clip in lenses. I know a lot of people wear contact lenses but any mask with lenses is safer than using contact lenses as they can be dislodged if your mask fills with water. There is enough going on underwater without having to worry about a contact lens around the back of your eye!
Please get in touch if we can help.

Please stop spreading mis-information in an effort to flog your wares.

The likelihood of a contact lens being dislodged if your mask fills with water is quite remote. As for "a contact lens around the back of your eye" [if your mask gets flooded]... that's a physical impossibility: the lens cannot go around the conjunctiva.

Please stop spreading mis-information in an effort to flog your wares.

The likelihood of a contact lens being dislodged if your mask fills with water is quite remote. As for "a contact lens around the back of your eye" [if your mask gets flooded]... that's a physical impossibility: the lens cannot go around the conjunctiva.

Ahh, give them a break! :wink:
They didn't actually say that the contact lens would/could go around to the back of the eye, just that
There is enough going on underwater without having to worry about a contact lens around the back of your eye!
So you see, no worries with their masks! :D

Any dive professional knows that it is not one single factor that causes a major problem underwater but a series. We speak to multiple people that have had their lenses dislodged whilst diving. We suggest taking one possible problem away by not wearing contacts. Hardly mis-information, just sound advice and it's my job to flog my wares. Makes me wonder why you are so concerned that I was giving sound advice whilst 'flogging my wares' as you put it. I think all divers and dive businesses should be supporting each other in these difficult times, not trying to score cheap points in a forum.

Last edited:
Oh, just to let you know, it is "wares". You "wear" a mask and sell "wares" however since 1/2 of Americans probably can't spell correctly and English is so crazy AND you are doing pretty well anyway, we'll be gracious and give you a pass. :D
:popcorn:

Mm. Well pointed out and I feel embarrassed. My education should have been good enough to get it right. Maybe I was so incensed with SubMariners mail that all spelling skills left me. I will of course edit post to make sure it is correct for others.

If it is any comfort to you "IT does not get any better" Your eyes will stabilize at 50 or so if that long. Now to your OP. I am the same. i bought a compumask some time ago. I found that i could read when very close or at arms distance. !st the mask I would not gt again. So for me changing the computer distance is not a repeatable option. However on hte aeris board for the mask there are some addresses for getting lenses put in your mask. one in illiinois and the other i thinkin cal. illinois wasts i think well under 100.00 to overlay your script in hte mask. BUT now what do you do for a spare mask. Another well under 100.00 being the only option. If you are of the DIR sect, then the mask is probably a no-no. So that leaves gettng good-doog masks that you will have to make sure they can have lenses bonded to them. . Call them for restrictions on faceplate materials, isf any. I unlike you have resorted to using contacts. You only need one. And by the way My last mask done was about 75.00 for both eyes. They recommend only getting one done. Something for you to think about. I had both done. A single eye on a backup mask may be the way to go. Just send them your script. The lensing was covered by my flex spending acct if you have one.

from the aeris site:

Prescription Lenses

We are pleased to announce AERIS' approval of two leading vendors to install prescription lenses in the CompuMask.

Please contact them directly with any questions.

Scuba Optics, Inc.
1405 8th Ave.
Rock Falls, IL, USA
Phone: 815-625-7272
Toll Free: 800-346-2654
Fax: 815-625-9735
Email: scubaopt@essex1.com

Prescription Dive Masks
8801 & ½ La Mesa Blvd
La Mesa, CA 91942, USA
Phone: 619-299-2878
Toll Free: 800-538-2878
Fax 619-297-9500
Email: llpdm@cox.net

This is totally traumatic for me but I just came to the realization that after a lifetime of 20/20 vision and never having to worry about corrective lenses, I suddenly can't focus on stuff that's close to my face, like my freaking dive computer, air gauge, and compass! :cussing: I guess that comes with turning 43.

I'm just coming to grips with this, so maybe you older divers can tell me what I'm in for. Am I going to need bifocals? A special mask? Contact lenses for diving? What do other fogies do who can't read their dials but otherwise see fine?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom