Speedo Nemesis Fins--pool test (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Following the many useful (and many hilarious) posts after I asked about using Speedo Nemesis Training Fins for SCUBA, I decided to just buy some and try them out.

Fundamentally, I really liked the concept behind the fins, that they are biomimetic to the pectoral fins of the humpback whale. I sought a very light, very efficient fin to add to my working set of fins. Some suggested force fins, which are certainly near the mark and are discussed widely here on ScubaBoard; but I was intrigued by the Nemesis.

I now feel that the Nemesis are just fantastic. First, you have the "Oh, wow" factor from anyone who sees you with them. They are not sure if you are carrying part of a mutant ninja turtle costume or what. After that, they are just, well, transformative. I felt like I had fish fins, really. Sort of like being one with the water in terms of your feet. It must be what a merperson feels like.

They are incredibly light since they are injection molded EVA. Many divers are very environmentally conscious and these fins are 100% recyclable. A small tag on them gives you a website where you can get information on where to send them after you are done with them. They basically grind them up and turn them into something else.

Soooo...

The Good:
  • light
  • comfortable
  • open heel
  • effortlessly hydrodynamic
  • recyclable
  • "Creature from the Black Lagoon" cool factor
The Bad:
  • Developed & sold as a "training fin"
  • Durability unknown
The Ugly
  • Need to be stiffer (they bend under hard UW kicking and leave an instep mark)
My next test will be with SCUBA at Blue Lagoon in a few weeks. I am hoping to use them later this summer at the Flower Gardens because I think they'll be perfect for reef diving, but I don't want to test them there.

Lastly, I don't think the stiffness problem makes them a no go and I have a plan to fix that issue anyway. I just wish Speedo would make a SCUBA version of these (beefier, stiffer and with an adjustable strap).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom