Spinoff: During a dive, does your mask leak at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, oh, saltwater in my eyes, wah, wah, wah :wink:.

Walk it off, man up.

N

Don't you practice no mask breathing?

Quarry dives (no salt water) are where I do my practice and skills honing..

Salt water to me implies that I am now in some warm water and spending a good bit of $ to enjoy myself with my family underwater. At this point, I would have to say that NO. I dont do any "skill honing" as this is what I call practical application. Should something arise, I will deal with it accordingly. I will not however waste underwater time in good places on practice.

We do normally hit up the quarry about 3-5 times before we head off on vacations. Its not like the vacation dive is the first of the year. Our quarry here is about 28-32ft deep so it lets us get deep enough to practice things (vis there is hideous!) but shallow enough that we can practice emergency ascents if needed. I generally focus on gear and bouyancy tho.

back on track..

I am going to order a backup mask because my wife has 4 and I only have my 1. My first mask was given to my eldest daughter who now uses it.

I don't really care whether my mask does or doesn't leak. I'm stubbily so it often does (although curiously after a week of continuous diving and increasing stubble growth the leaks gets less - softer beard or just being used to the water? The latter methinks)

Also, I wear contacts and fail to see what the issue is. I've never lost a pair whilst open eyed maskless swimming, Maybe my eyes are different, sticky or something.

Finally, and useful tip maybe - if you're leaking a lot, learn to exhale through your nose. Don't change attitude or make any adjustments, just exhale through your nose and it will clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom