Spirit of Freedom or Reef Encounter for live aboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slh02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am debating between the 4 night Coral Sea trip on Spirit of Freedom or a 3 night trip with Reef Encounter in late December. I realize these are two very different experiences (SOF much nicer boat, better dive sites, pricier, etc.) My main concern has to do with difficulty. I have about 40 dives, but these are spread out over the past 10 years or so. I do feel comfortable in the water, but I have never been diving without a guide/divemaster. It appears that the SOF is mainly geared towards more advanced divers. The only time I feel uncomfortable is with strong currents. Plus I will be traveling alone.

Unfortunately the 3 day Cod Hole trip on SOF doesn't fit with my schedule.

I'm considering then just doing a 3 night trip on Reef Encounter. I realize these trips don't go out as far. So my main question is will I be bored, or underwhelmed with the experience? When I go back to Cairns I plan to meet a friend and spend one day on a boat diving... so will I just be going to the same areas for both trips? I wasn't sure which dive sites most of the day boats go to.

If I choose the outer reefs (as opposed to SOF) I am also considering Cairns Dive Center or Pro Dive Cairns which I believe goes to different reefs (Moore, Milln, Briggs, Elford and Thetford) than Reef Encounter (Norman, Saxon, Hastings).

I don't want to put myself in a situation that I can't handle (strong currents on dives) but I also don't want to be disappointed on the cheaper trip. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
As you already realize they are totally different trips so not really comparable.

The SOF one has far more varied sites and if you have 40 dives up then you are more than capable! Its well controlled, supervised and very well briefed diving. Its suitable for all levels although newly qualified Open Water students may need some guidance and we normally recommend doing the Advanced course on board or get Deep Dive experience.

If you can afford it and make the time then SOF would be the pick for sure.

Having said that there are lots of good Outer Reef options and I doubt you would be bored.

Reef Encounter is very much like Ocean Quest and Kangaroo Explorer (the budget option) as it stays on the Reef and has daily transfer vessels go out and back.

Pro Dive departs and returns after 3 days with the same passengers. All 4 trips have multiple sites and diving to suit all levels.

If you don't want to go on the same sites as the over night then pick another day trip company e.g. Tusa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom