Splurge for the Oly 5050 or get 3040?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What housings for the Oly are you looking at? I just got the Oly 4040, and one of the reasons I got this over a Sony is because it had one of the less expensive housings. The PT 010 goes for about $250. The depth rating is not as great as the more expensive housings (98ft), but I've heard people have taken them deeper with no problems.

In a previous post I said:

I don't know of anyone using the C-3040 but quite a few are still using the 3080 and alot prefer it.

Where that came from I do not know! As Tony pointed out, I helped him decide on his C-3040 and I know many others who use it. The only thing I can think of is I was confusing the 8 with a 3 and was thinking of the C-3030.

So...I apologize for the confusion. I even confused myself!

MikeSK once bubbled...
That's true, thanks Dee :)
I might just go with the 4040 then. As long as there's no significant problems with it it should still be good for ages. One worry though is that if its discontinued, does that also include any warranty work should it ever be needed? I guess if i buy the extended warranty someone would still have to honor it.

Mike....Olympus will still honor their warranty on all Oly cameras, discontinued or not. If you buy an additional extended warranty from a merchant, you should check with them but I would certainly expect them to honor it. Like I said, maybe no more are being made but there are still alot out there on the market and in consumers hands.

Thanks for all the input.

The only housing I've seen so far for the 5050 is on Alans site. Its not out yet of course and since the camera isn't even really out there's been no price decided.

http://www.underwaterdigital.net/olympus pt-015.htm

I do like the pics from the 3040 though. I would definetly wait for reviews in general and impressions from the UW community on the 5050 before getting it.

Argh! So many choices. My daughter will be getter her kids certified before i get one and she's only 12.

Obviously, of the top two i'd go with the 4040, difference is to slight to not. But what about the 4000? That $100 is a mem card or something.

Actually, there is a spot on Choice One's C-4000 page that states "Factory Refurbished. 90 day warranty", or something to that extent. Explains the extremely low price.

We just got our C-4000 through a friend in Chicago for $415. Takes great pics above water. The PT-010 from Allan Cabrera should be arriving today/tomorrow!

Matt

A friend sent this to me last night in case I knew someone in the market. This link is to a used C-4040 for $400 and a new C-4000 for $280. I know nothing more than that...just passing it along.

Thanks, I think i'll stick with new.

Pretty much decided on the 4040 next week and then the housing later in the month. Before next years trip I may get the strobe but at least another mem card

Anyone ever order from choice one digital? Or know a site thats trustworthy where i can get it for about the same price?

Crap, they also have the refurb note on the 4040. Darnit.

I don't know of anyone who has ordered from Choice One but I also haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Their prices for Smartmedia cards are awfully high...128mg for $109? I've never paid more than $45 for 128mg on eBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom