Splurge for the Oly 5050 or get 3040?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Have you tried B & H photo...... for the camera......
Also they have alot of Ikelite gear......at very good prices!!!!

More housings and strobes

in Jacksonville ????? Abners....Bob is very knowledgeable and extremely competitive price wise

U/Wdigital for Olympus housings and lenses

I looked at B&H just a bit ago. They don't have the 4040 at least on the site but they do list the 5050 for $800.

Lowest for the 4040 is like $524 non-refurb. Still not bad but Buy Digital lists the 3040 and 4040 for like the same price.

Housing is defintely uwdigital assuming i can pass paypal muster. Never used them before and heard somewhat disquieting things about them. Paypal i mean

Unless i get one of those ewa-marine housing baggie things

Yup just looked at B&H myself.....

Unless you're using it for snorkeling the Ewa Marine bag isn’t a good idea.....they really are not meant for any real depth .... the bag compresses and the functions of the camera will not work.....I think on the website they are geared for weather proofing your camera. Whereas the Olympus housing is rated to 98ft and the Ikelite to 200 ft......I think the Light and Motion is the same...200ft

The C4000 looks like a good deal but it looks like it lacks manual control…(that’s something I would definitely ask about) ...... something that will help a lot with U/W use....especially with external strobe use and Olympus's crazy preflash. The Auto Program mode works ok....but the ability to manually set the camera can really enhance the end results...

Oh yeah.....that is high for 128 cards......New 128 mb (olympus) are $60-65 on B&H.....you will want a few of them for vacation time!!!!!

Ok, i think i've got it.

http://www.buydigitaldirect.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=221&RefTag=pricegrabber#

$549 for the camera and 69.99 for a 128 card. Free ground shipping which is fine with me. Later I'll get the recharable batteries or just buy them local. Any nicad rechargers will do right? Or I guess nihm replaced nicad. I'm so behind the times

That's for the 4040. It doesn't say refurb either. When i call it probably will be though :)

Since it will be ages before my daughter goes below 60, let alone 98, this should be good for quite awhile.

As an amature photographer I always purchase Oly smart cards for one good reason... the support panoramas, the Oly software will not allow you to switch into panarma mode without them.

As a side note - the Oly stitching software is nearly flawless as long as you take a good picture.

break down:

the 2040, 3040 and 4040 have the super bright lens 1.8 (i think, haven't got my camer in front of me)

basically what other cameras would need a flash for this doesn't

the 4000 has 4.x i think but not sure, and a super macro mode, but in super macro mode the flash doesn't work (bit stupid this, but hey)

the 4000 has a 10x zoom which is way better than the others.

i have a 3040 check my site for pics, the new ones from the red sea are all with the 3040

the 5050 is the dogs nuts, and has all the memory formats covered where as the others are SM.

5050 is future proofed but i haven't seen any photo's from it yet.

go to a shop that has the 3040 or 4040 and 5050 set up a tripod and snap away and compare

Just FYI for ya'll,

www.japan-direct.com has all the olympus housings
and can get other japan market only items if you ask.
The prices and shipping are good. I used them to get
the housing for my D-40Z and got it in less than a
week. It's pretty funny to read the japanese manual
with the cartoons and such as well.

just a recommendation.

Kell

Thanks Clive for the breakdown

So if i understand correctly, the main diff between the 3040 and the 4040 is that the first is 3.2 and the other is 4.1mp?

I haven't been able to find the 3040 for that much less really than the 4040. For some reason I really want a 4mp or better. Maybe so i'm not so far behind with the tech :)

Like your pics, but is there anything specific to recommend the 3040 over the 4040? I don't think I'll wait for the 5050, that is probably a little to much overkill for me just now.

While looking at the Oly web site a popup windo appeared warning of ONline retailers and chinese produced versions of their 30x0 and 40x0 lines of cameras. The suggested that one should be careful of extremely low online deals. dont know much about it at the time wasn't getting as serious as I am now in purchaseing a new camera. ( Wife on board campaign wasnt in full steam as of yet, winning now tho)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom