Sri Lanka diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrilling report and photos, Ajith! Sorry we couldn't connect here in Minnesota when you came in April. Maybe in SL next time we visit.

Things have warmed up here nicely and the diving is great now.

Cheers.

Hey May be I might come that way again.

Diving in the east coast is now possible for the intrepid diver. Fabulous diving but very basic facilities. In addition to HMS Hermes there are two other wrecks currently divable. That is HMS Lady Blake and Hollyhock which went down one day before the Hermes. Reading the book Hermes adventure by Rex Morgan it is clear that the whole place must be littered with ship and plane wrecks. Another big one HMAS Vampire is still undiscovered and I feel it must have fallen into the abyss that is a little beyond the Hermes resting place.

Hope you guys can make it here again soon.

I had the good fortune to dive Sri Lanka in the summer of '04 up in Trinco. A relative period of calm in the conflict and the calmer waters on that side of the island (at least during that time of the year) made it possible. Unfortunately, the visibility was not good at all. I'm really looking forward to going back in the next year or two and diving the in the areas you describe. What months would you say are best for the southwest part of the island?

South West is where all the dive shops are and the season is generally from November to April. Best months being December to March.

The good thing is in addition to the regular diving operations down the south coast in areas such as Hikkaduwa and Bentota, the sub aqua club is planning to organize dives from Colombo and there is a small operation in Negambo just 10 minutes from the airport.

So the options are getting better. Please feel free to contact me if you are actually coming down and I can give you more information.

and the diving in Colombo is suprisingly good. viz is 20-40m offshore. inshore reefs have variable viz but some interesting sites and good wrecks. and fishing pressure is less than the south coast. a few of us (including ajith) dive in Colombo most weekend during the west coast season. northwest coast is also good but no dive operators there.

I just finished reading "The Reefs of Taprobane" by Arthur C. Clarke. What a fantastic account of diving in Sri Lanka (circa 1956)! And I love reading about the early days of diving. A lot of it sounds dangerous and a bit cavalier but also so adventurous and simple back then. Also, in the book, the reefs seem much healthier back then compared to now. Lots of groupers and sharks about and healthy coral.

Does anyone visit some of the West Coast wrecks he mentions anymore? The Hardingham, The Aenos? The AFD 23 wreck in Trinco sounds amazing. I dove the Conch and Earl of Shaftesbury earlier this year.

Now I am itching to get back there and dive.

Cheers.

Feb/March on west and south coasts and May/June on east coast. August is usually windy but can dive on east coast. No diving on west/south coast due to monsoon season. But overall August is not a great month.

Feb/March on west and south coasts and May/June on east coast. August is usually windy but can dive on east coast. No diving on west/south coast due to monsoon season. But overall August is not a great month.

Thanks so much for your info! Perhaps it is best to visit Sri Lanka to escape the US Minnesotan's winter :wink:

Back
Top Bottom