Sri Lanka Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this forum, people are asking advise, others give advise, that's what I like in this kind of forum, but certain people are just bashing other opinion because they don't accept or agree with a different opinion.

I should not give my personal opinion about a place, which has nothing to do with the business I am working for because I work in the dive industry? I cannot recommend a friend because I work in the dive industry? But one thing I would not do, it's bashing somebody else even if it's my direct competition just because I do have respect for others even if they do not agree or accept my opinions.....
PD, would you pls look at the sequence of posts.
1-OP asks a question,
2-You reply giving your opinion. OK if that's yours.... (although I personnally feel you've been a little overboard with your praises, which I would say leads to some OP misinformation : why don't you say that there are lots of tame sites, to be honest?)
3-I am replying giving my opinion on the sites and also mentioning that chances of seeing a whale shark are very very low. Which is also a FACT : ask Shirly or anyone how many days in a year he spots a whale shark in Unawatuna area.

I would say its a fair draw game : 1 for -1 against.

4- but no, you come again.... to stress that the dive centre "knows". (I have seen so many dive centres who "knew" but when I actually dived with them the manta rays and the whale shark schools were gone "last week".

I am sorry to say I don't believe what the dive centres say anymore, many of their small lies made me suspicious now... I prefer relying on first hand diver experience.. and it happens I am an avid reader of dive reports anywhere, because I like traveling and always in search of a new dive destination, I do not know for the moment of any divers reporting regular sights of whale sharks in southern Sri Lanka.

It reminds me the whale shark hip with Ko Tao or Richelieu. Let's be honest with everyone : there are very few chances you spot a whale shark on those spots when you're diving one week, even the DMs will tell you so (most of time after one week diving, not BEFORE :D )... Although there are some reports of Whale shark spottings on those sites... and still none I've read about whale sharks in Sri Lanka.

N- Now you complain I was bashing YOUR opinion. ...errh...YOUR opinion ??? :confused:

but certain people are just bashing other opinion because they don't accept or agree with a different opinion.
It's strange but reading you, I am feeling you write just about what you intended to do : negating my opinion. I said I didn't like the diving, can you accept that? Obviously, post 4- (yours) didn't prove it. :idk:

btw you've got some beautiful photos on moalboal
Thank you... but that's really out of topic. :wink:

Hey guys,

Flatterd to be considered the local expert :blinking:

I stand by what Luko has quoted me saying about the south coast. Unfortunately, as it stands most sites do not epitomize the best SL has to offer.

However, regards the OP's question here are some sites in Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna that I would recommend. Kiralagala and the wreck of the Conch in Hikkaduwa and Napolean Reef, the "Rangoon" wreck and another called the "24m wreck" in Unawatuna. I would also recommend International Diving School in Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna Diving Center and Submarine Dive Center (the one recommended by PD) in Unawatuna. All of them run safe and professional businesses and have a good knowledge of local sites. And yes Shirley is a nice guy and has dive in Unawatuna for yonks! There may be others that are good that I have not dived with. But watch out for a few dodgy ones as well. As for whale sharks, you're extremely unlikely to see one. We do have them, especially around Mar/Apr but you would be VERY lucky to see one. In around 1000 dives in SL I have seen 2!!!!!

One thing to keep in mind about SL is that conditions are extremely variable on most sites. Dive operators might promise "crystal clear water teeming with marine life" but this depends a lot on the site and conditions. If your looking for world class reef diving then SL is definitely not the place. But there is some great wreck diving and good macro. Unfortunately most local DM's are not good at or interested in looking for macro subjects. The northwest coast and parts of the east have excellent shallow hard coral gardens. If you want info about diving outside Hikkaduwa/Unawatuna let me know.

In December, it will be off season for the east but south and west is in season. You should have decent conditions in the mornings but afternoons will be windy so go for a morning dive vs. afternoon dives.

But SL is a great place to visit. And thats coming from a proud Sri Lankan! Diving depends a lot on what you want and where you go. If you're in the south anyways (its a nice part of the country) might as well tank up on some nitrogen :D If you havent dived much its a good chance to improve your skills and have some fun!

Just FYI I am now connected with a dive operation in SL since December last year. But my views about SL diving is not based on this but on years of diving all around the country as a marine biologist and photographer. I dont mean to put south coast diving down but want to let people know its not the best SL has since thats a common misconception. I see a lot of negative reviews on SL mainly because people went with the wrong expectations or to the wrong place. Dive shops are promising pelagics that never show up while ignoring the hundreds of nudibranchs under their nose. And if your into deep wrecks then your in heaven!

On the subject of whale sharks and good places to see them, Sogod Bay in Philippines gets two thumbs up. And Maldives for mantas. Hani Faru in the right season is just madness!

Happy Diving!

I never indented to criticize your opinion at the first place....just wanted to confirm my opinion, no intention to go against you!

I have read a few of you comments of different places and fund them extremely useful and accurate. I do have the same feeling about you giving negative replays on my comments.

But I would let anyone to insult me or the company I work for, just because someone disagree with my comments.

Enjoy diving wherever you are!!!

I never indented to criticize your opinion at the first place....just wanted to confirm my opinion, no intention to go against you!
Ok, no hard feelings.

... and btw, when I bought that yellow Scubacat tshirt, it was certainly because I appreciated the 4 days LOB on the Similans. :)

Hi,

Not much information about shops, but do go to Unawatuna it is ammmaazing area in all aspects. I wish to be therume as a fish :)

Keep the thumbs up while returning to the surface buddies !

IPS

I dove the South-West coast 3 years ago, so it's a little dated. The boats can be a little dodgy, but the diving is very much worth doing. Some of the wreck sites mentioned above were ones I dove, as well as a few others. The diving was inexpensive and comparable to the best you get in the Gulf of Thailand. The next time I get sent back to India I fully plan on taking an extra few days to go down and Dive Sri Lanka again.

Thumbs up for Unawatuna as a fun place to hang out.

Like I said the wreck diving in SL is good. For reefs, Kiralagala in Hikkaduwa is a nice dive site and on a good day Napolean Reef in Unawatuna can be great. Needless to say 30m viz is better than 5m viz and both are possible and can change from one to another overnight.

Current prices range from about 25-30 Euros/dive. Hikkaduwa is generally cheaper due to more competition. The quality of boats and equipment as well as DM's vary a lot but some common sense should ensure you dont get yourself into a tangle.

Thumbs up for Unawatuna as a fun place to hang out.

Like I said the wreck diving in SL is good. For reefs, Kiralagala in Hikkaduwa is a nice dive site and on a good day Napolean Reef in Unawatuna can be great. Needless to say 30m viz is better than 5m viz and both are possible and can change from one to another overnight.

Current prices range from about 25-30 Euros/dive. Hikkaduwa is generally cheaper due to more competition. The quality of boats and equipment as well as DM's vary a lot but some common sense should ensure you dont get yourself into a tangle.

Back
Top Bottom