St Kitts 06FEB16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Rick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are visiting St Kitts 06FEB16. We will be staying in Turtle Beach and want to do some shore diving along with some boat diving.

Does anyone know the sites for shore diving?

Who do we rent tanks and weights from?

Do any of the dive operators do nitrox?

Do they allow spear fishing of Lion fish here?

Thanks Rick

try keneths dive center tell them them steve from canada sent you hell take care of you

Hey Rick,
I stayed in Turtle Beach in October '15. There wasn't much encouragement to do shore diving, however the beach that you overlook is shallow and great for snorkeling. It would be quite a kick out for scuba depths (or you could dive for a couple of hours on a tank at pool depths). Your call. One of our group was a bit rusty and we did a check out dive off of White House Bay, just north of Salt Plat -- just beyond the Great Salt Pond (Between Turtle Beach and Baseterre). Again, shallow but plenty of life to see.
I lucked out and called Scuba Safaris http://www.divenevis.com/ at Oualie Beach on Nevis. The problem with Turtle Beach is that it is a 30 to 40 minute drive to Basseterre to meet up with Kenneths or ProDive. Whereas Scuba Safaris picked us up at the Reggae Beach Dock -- 5 minutes from where we were staying (especially if you cut thru the dirt roads). They were a few bucks more expensive, but the convenience made it worth it to us. Nitrox is available. Douce (captain and dive leader) had a sling for lion fish on every dive. Valerie (Instructor/DM) made ceviche for a snack on occasion from the lion fish take. The shop rented us tanks that we returned the next day when we went out on their boat again. RE: spear fishing, St. Kitts and Nevis isn't quite as heavily regulated as some of the other island countries; so reasonableness rather than regulation is kind of the formula. So it is kind of more up to the dive operator instead of a patrol boat. You will be judged by your dive skills and personality. Remember, you are a LONG way away from help if you are hit with a lion fish spine.
The only other recommendation is when you rent a car, don't rent from Bullseye. Nice enough people, just not good vehicles.

Hey Rick,
I stayed in Turtle Beach in October '15. There wasn't much encouragement to do shore diving, however the beach that you overlook is shallow and great for snorkeling. It would be quite a kick out for scuba depths (or you could dive for a couple of hours on a tank at pool depths). Your call. One of our group was a bit rusty and we did a check out dive off of White House Bay, just north of Salt Plat -- just beyond the Great Salt Pond (Between Turtle Beach and Baseterre). Again, shallow but plenty of life to see.
I lucked out and called Scuba Safaris http://www.divenevis.com/ at Oualie Beach on Nevis. The problem with Turtle Beach is that it is a 30 to 40 minute drive to Basseterre to meet up with Kenneths or ProDive. Whereas Scuba Safaris picked us up at the Reggae Beach Dock -- 5 minutes from where we were staying (especially if you cut thru the dirt roads). They were a few bucks more expensive, but the convenience made it worth it to us. Nitrox is available. Douce (captain and dive leader) had a sling for lion fish on every dive. Valerie (Instructor/DM) made ceviche for a snack on occasion from the lion fish take. The shop rented us tanks that we returned the next day when we went out on their boat again. RE: spear fishing, St. Kitts and Nevis isn't quite as heavily regulated as some of the other island countries; so reasonableness rather than regulation is kind of the formula. So it is kind of more up to the dive operator instead of a patrol boat. You will be judged by your dive skills and personality. Remember, you are a LONG way away from help if you are hit with a lion fish spine.
The only other recommendation is when you rent a car, don't rent from Bullseye. Nice enough people, just not good vehicles.
Hey Rick,
Thanks for all the info. When you say that turtle beach is shallow, how shallow is it?

50 yds. off shore I could stand. So less than 15'. Ideal snorkel depth.

Back
Top Bottom