Question St. Lucia - Sandals vs. Local Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petunia_saurogemi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My partner and I are heading to Sandals Halcyon Beach in early May. I was just made aware that we have 2 tanks/dives per day included in our stay so I'm wondering how great the Sandals diving is… I’ve already booked with Scuba Steve’s and Dive St. Lucia but I’m thinking I should save the money and go through the resort if there’s not a big quality difference..?

We both are newly OW certified and have 8 dives in the past 4 months (Boynton Beach and Keys, FL).

Thoughts, input?!

I would say the resort dives are probably fine. I haven't been there specifically but I presume everyone is going to the same sites (maybe ask in advance?) and the resort option is likely very beginner-friendly and full-service so just save the money.

Go with the local dive shop. Sandals limits your dive time, so you can't dive your tank and you have to ascend as a group regardless of how much air you have left. The biggest problem could be finding space on the dive boat. If the boat is full and a Sandals "elite" diver shows up, you will be bumped off the boat to make room for them every time.

since you are fairly new, the diving with sandals won't feel that restrictive, but you may need to pick up AOW if you want to do the pitons. advantage with a local dive op is they aren't as restricted for dive site selection whereas sandals has to cater to the lowest denominator.

Having stayed at a few Sandals and St Lucia twice (but not Halcyon), I would go with your plan of an outside dive op. The Sandals boats are nice and they are professional but the dives are short and regimented. There will be alot of honeymoon and vacation divers so the dives are catered to them. Though that may suit you. You will have to decide if you are a vacationer who dives or a diver on vacation.
After the first few Sandals we always went with an outside op and were pleased.
The boats they use are on a schedule which includes snorkel trips so your time is limited.
Further, you will most likely leave from town so all Sandals guests will be coming in to use the same boats. So full boats. I got a bit tired of people stepping/standing on my gear.
Sandals diving will be cheaper. If you choose to do this, the first thing to do when you arrive is to schedule them with their watersports people. BTW if you even mention that you take any medication (aspirin?) and mark it on the form, you had better have a doctor's release.

Thanks for the input @ColoDale @runsongas @Ontwreckdiver

We will definitely be sticking with the local shops we’ve booked with! Based on your responses and other threads I’ve read, it sounds like local shops are usually the preference unless you’re at an actual dive resort - which I can’t wait to try out in the future!

At your experience level, Sandals diving would be fine. I'd do that, and save the cash for other diving, more training, more gear, etc... Once you've got your dive count up a bit, you'll be better able to take advantage of the benefits of using a local Op.

Back
Top Bottom