St. Thomas?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recommend renting a car at all on St. T even if you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road. The drivers there make new york city drivers look nice and easy to get along with. I would rent a car on St. John...very easy to get around on and lots of nice beaches.....

Look at Chris Sawyer dive ops as well.

So what's the deal with the 'Dive Passes'?
is that just for a trip out to a dive site, does it include air/tanks?

Blue Island Divers is now under new management. Aich and his crew are all now gone. The couple now running it are doing the best they can under circumstances. Dierdre and James are now on St. John working for Cruz Bay Watersports.

Someone mentioned to stay away from Admiralty as they are known for cattleboating. If you think a 6 pack and a 12 pack dive boat is cattleboating, then you are misunderstood as to what a cattleboat is.

On the East end of St. Thomas, the dive sites are visited regularly by 90 percent of the dive shops on the island. The have some cool sites, but it's also rougher on that end. I think the best sites are on the south south/west end of the island. There are numerous wrecks, such as: The Miss Opportunity, The WitShoal, Kennedy Barge, The Chysler, Navy Barges, and one not found by many but called the JBK. Some of the best reefs are: Armondos Paradise, Sprat Point, Saba Island, Flat Cay and North Buck Andre's Reef.

My favorite places to eat are: Havana Blue, Room With A View, Fungi's, Tavern on the Waterfront, Wikked, Fat Turtle, Tickles, Epernays, Belle Blue, Craig and Sally's, Betsy's Bar, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE - OCEANA!

Other fun activities would be: On Deck Racing, Eco Tour, Day trip to St. John, Day trip to Virgin Gorda, Water Island - Joe's Bar.

My favorite beache for fun, sun, snorkeling: Sapphire Beach
Just fun, sun, relaxing drinking: Emerald Beach

Hope you have a great time! Let me know if I can help with anything else. That's what I love to do the mostest!

We just got back from some (5) excellent dives with Admiralty. The entire bunch make you feel very welcome, informed, and most importantly *safe*. I may be new to diving, but having the dive shop rinse/store your dive gear overnight is a definite plus! They know the area and area dives, and are very ethical.

Bumpas in Downtown makes some excellent smoothies.

Just a quick note to anyone who picks up this thread, the first 2 pages are from 2003 and the information is less than current or accurate. Blue Island Divers is under new ownership as Laura mentioned, Admiralty doesn't run a cattle boat and neither does St. Thomas Diving Club. In addition, St. Thomas Diving Club is under new ownership as well. The space above Wendy's is now a call station for cruise ship crew and Poorman's is sadly no more.

If anyone needs current St. Thomas info, ScubaLaura and myself are both locals and would be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.

Rachel

Another nod for Blue Island. Dove with them in July and they were an excellent operation. Do the Wit Shoal if you get a chance! Really great wreck..lots of life. If you can jump on the seaplane and head to St Croix for the day. Diving Cane Bay is a blast. Grab a tank, walk down the beach, swim 200 yards and wall. St John is worth making a trip to as well. Hop on the ferry out of Red Bank.
Enjoy!

My GF and I are heading back down at the end of May so we are gonna look You 2 up (Scuba Laura and wreckchick) So just a little warning be prepared!!!:wink:

Love Sapphire beach (my favorite on St thomas) lots of turtles.......Also love Molly Malones for some great conch fritters.......and thats sad about Poormans pub....that was our drinking hole last year.

Well, we'll try to survive you, slaveeye... thanks for the warning! :D

Rachel

Oh and just to clarify for others that are picking up this thread. Renting a jeep is the only way to go to really experience the V.I.'s. Just remember to pay attention and drive on the LEFT!!!:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom