Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's funny is the last time I dove with Ocean Divers (March 2010), they crammed 28 people onto their 46 Nekton. We waited almost an hour on the boat in the sun for the South Beach divers to finally show up. We encountered large swells, lots of n00bs, 5 people vomiting over the rail, an avalanche of dropped weights and bicycle kickers that stirred up the sand so much that many could not find the boat. 28 jumped in and only 24 returned to the boat. Never again.

I avoid South Beach days at OD like the plague. Newtons are rated for 36 divers, I think, so 28 is still within the limit. Crowded? yes. South Beach divers? Run away. When I first moved here, I went out a few times when SB was on the boat. Always late. IMO they do not respect OD for the service level they receive. I applaud anyone that wants to learn to dive, so don't take it the wrong way. I just saw the way SB instructors treated OD folks, and I did not like what I saw. To keep the boat - and other paying divers - waiting is just plain wrong.

FKDC has been here for many years. I personally have had many dealings with them and have always found them excellent. Just my 2cents

.......obvious question.....what happened to the other 4? Still out there?

Bill

The Pisces from Horizon Divers picked them up, a few hundred meters down current from the OD boat.

I don't mean to pick on Ocean Divers or FKDC but I learned a valuable lesson that day ... stay away from cattle boats on busy days. This kind of craziness can and will occur occasionally. Plus if you get a late group of six to 10 n00bs, insanity will ensue. It was not fun and I'll never do it again.

There is no place for rudeness. However, like others have said, it was a holiday weekend which means more people have the time off to go diving. I don't like to dive with that many people either, regularly dive with 6 or 8 which is sometimes too much. Now as far as asking to use their pressure gauge, I would just use my own reg. If you got a short tank, it would be replaced in plenty of time to get in the water. Don't let something like that spoil your holiday dive.

If I feel crowded on a boat (I'm a big guy), that's my problem, and I make a mental boat to go sixpack the next time.

If the guy at the counter snarks off to me at a polite request (can I use your pressure gauge for a minute, please?), then we settle it right then and there, or I talk to the owner privately afterwards.

If the owner is a knucklehead, then and only then you folks may hear about it on this board.

Without having been there, I suspect that in this instance some of those steps might have been skipped before the posting.

As to the "I had a bad day and coulda done better with that customer. Now I'll have a beer." - it's nice to think that way, but it would be kidding ourselves to think that there isn't a cost attached to poor customer service - on any day. As competitive as dive ops are in South Florida, I'd be surprised if any owner was that relaxed about treating a customer badly. (actually, I know of two, but one's already gone and thoe other's not gonna be around much longer...)

[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]Is it fair to stuff 25 divers on a single boat? Is it fair to yell at a customer for no reason? [/FONT][FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

never mind fair, is it legal?
at least the Canadian regulations are that a 40-50 ft tag boat can have 12 passengers max

Hi all, can't speak to FKDC as never dove with the. We often dive with OD and they are a great op. The days when SB and other such large groups are coming we stay away. Those experiences take much of the enjoyment out of diving. They are a massive cluster. A six pack is a good suggestion as long as you are comfortable with the boat. Some have the center engine cover that make it pretty difficult to get around or gear up even with only six divers. I agree people have bad days, but when your in a service oriented business you have to develop good face management and suck it up and serve the customer. It's fine to redirect a customer in a professional way. How about "hey I am super busy getting the boat ready to head to the reef, can you get set up on the boat and use your SPG to check your air?" If you get a short fill have staff change the tank. I got 3 short filled tanks in a row before. Does that expectation and reply seem reasonable as a staff member and as a customer? Let's keep diving fun!

Warning - Off topic post -

Yes, it is legal. The boats are Coast Guard certified to carry 36 divers.

I'm certified to carry 123 divers. That doesn't mean I should.

Now, back to the "I had a lousy time" rant.

never mind fair, is it legal?
at least the Canadian regulations are that a 40-50 ft tag boat can have 12 passengers max

Are you sure about that? Canadian passenger vessels are subject to regulation just like in the US by the USCG. In the US, there is an UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) which can carry up to 6 passengers (6-pack) - in Canada, the cutoff is 12 passengers. Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom