Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one of these several years ago. well worth the investment.

acc239.jpg

I used it last weekend right before I loaded up my tanks to make sure they were full. :thumb:

Got it because I didn't like having to carry the reg set out to the garage to check tank pressures. It's also much easier to use than having to mess with regulator hoses, etc.

I can see anyone who dives a decent amount and/or owns their own tanks having one.

I do, but I seldom have my regs with me when I pick them up.

I drop them after my dives and usually pick them up during work and store them at home. That way I am ready to go where ever I'll use them next.

Even if this guy did not want to check tank pressure he should have put a reg on at least one tank to make sure the reg was working properly before the boat left the dock. It would not have been much of a chore to then test the other tank after that.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Splitlip

I do, but I seldom have my regs with me when I pick them up.

I drop them after my dives and usually pick them up during work and store them at home. That way I am ready to go where ever I'll use them next.

Don't you have them when you're going diving though?

Sure. But it would it would be inconvenient to find a short fill if I'm at the dock, entry site, boat ramp etc. even if I were to mount the first stage as soon as arrived home with tanks, I would have turn around, go back to the shop schlepping my regs because the shop presumably won't let me use a gauge. Then I would need to analyze again.

Maybe it's because I've been diving nitrox for so long I don't remember having a shops pressure gauge being unavailable.

My main LDS always had gauges hanging outside their tank room along with O2 analyzers. Maybe a couple walked because they since integrated pressure gauges into the fixxed analyzers. In fact they also have 2 fixed pressure gauges without integrated analyzers for air divers.

(I always analyze my daughters air tanks though)

Ya know I can't agree with the op on his boat complaints. I do wonder however why he wasn't permitted to test his tanks.

Every shop I use here provides gauges to check tank pressure when you pick them up. In fact if it's a nitrox tank the diver must analyze mix AND pressure for the log.

Anyone know if this shop provides nitrox fills? If so there should have been a means to test pressure even if it was at the nitrox analyzers.

I used Florida Keys Dive Center in March 2010. Total opposite of your experiance. Big empty boat with 8 on board and 2 other boats tied to the dock with no customers to fill them. It was obvious that the operation would be a hive of activity in summer, especially on a holiday weekend. I'd use these guys again, but not at peak season. When the customer demand allowed for the staff to be relaxed and friendly, they were. I can't imagine visiting this op when they were serving 70-100 divers a morning. Anyone with the observation skills of Steve Wonder could figure out the score at this dive op on a holiday weekend.

Their boats were powered by John Deere engines that I found very impressive and fume free.

Adding to my post, I dove Nitrox one day, their staff tested the mix as a witnessed. IOW, full serve.

Sure. But it would it would be inconvenient to find a short fill if I'm at the dock, entry site, boat ramp etc. even if I were to mount the first stage as soon as arrived home with tanks, I would have turn around, go back to the shop schlepping my regs because the shop presumably won't let me use a gauge. Then I would need to analyze again.

Maybe it's because I've been diving nitrox for so long I don't remember having a shops pressure gauge being unavailable.

My main LDS always had gauges hanging outside their tank room along with O2 analyzers. Maybe a couple walked because they since integrated pressure gauges into the fixxed analyzers. In fact they also have 2 fixed pressure gauges without integrated analyzers for air divers.

(I always analyze my daughters air tanks though)

Are we talking about the same thread? In the one I'm looking at... There's a guy who is at the dive shop/boat... waiting to go diving. He's complaining that he couldn't gauge his tanks, because the "jerk at the dive shop" wouldn't let him use the gauge. The dive shop is like 50 feet from the boat. If he doesn't have his first stage with him... how is he going diving??

Are we talking about the same thread? In the one I'm looking at... There's a guy who is at the dive shop/boat... waiting to go diving. He's complaining that he couldn't gauge his tanks, because the "jerk at the dive shop" wouldn't let him use the gauge. The dive shop is like 50 feet from the boat. If he doesn't have his first stage with him... how is he going diving??

I guess you lost track. I was replying to your post #60 in which you asked ME if I didn't have my regs when I dive.

And? If you were the Guy in this thread... nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

And? If you were the Guy in this thread... nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Huh???
I do mind because you are not being clear in your reply.

If I was what guy? The OP? You were not addressing the "Guy", you were addressing me. That's all...never mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom